Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user can't connect using Netgear dgn2200v4

FIXED
Spubgas
Fixes: 1

New user can't connect using Netgear dgn2200v4

Hi,

I joined plus net yesterday after being with sky for many years.

I consider myself computer literate but cannot seem to connect to my ASDL service.

My router is a Netgear dgn2200v4 running v1.0.066_1.0.66 firmware.

I have tried using the following settings and this results in no connection and a red light on the router

Logon
myusername@plusdsl.net

Password
My plus net password

DNS

Static ip (which I've asked for)

Vpi 0
Vci 38
Dsl mode auto
Vc-based

When I click on my ADSL STATS I get

Speed 17663 923
Attenuation 19 10.7
Noise. 6.1 9.2

Interestingly, out of desperation I tried logon of myusername (with no @plusdsl.net

If I use this and set my Netgear to use IP address and dns from host I am able to connect. I see from the ADSL status packets going back and forth.

However, each website I try to view
Comes back with a message from BT wholesale saying there is a problem. The light on my router is green at this time though

I doubt there is a problem with my Netgear as it would seem very odd that it worked fine with sky and then not with plus net. I bought the router new and it wasn't a sky branded one.

Any ideas as I'm pulling my hair out here.

Never had problems connecting to new ISPs in the 20+ years I've been online.

Thanks in advance

Guy

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New user can't connect using Netgear dgn2200v4

@Spubgas

The static IP on Plusnet isn't configured on your router as static but as dynamic and when you log in, Plusnet's DHCP server will give you the same IP address each time.

That maybe causing an issue. So change that first and then retry.

As you have noted, you must use the username@plusdsl.net with the same password as you use to log into the Plusnet member centre portal at https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

What  does the router's log file show when you fail to get a valid connection.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I would try setting IP address to dynamic, Plusnet like just about every ISP supports this for static IP customers - your router asks for the address and Plusnet will always issue you your static address.  That's what I've done with all sorts of  ISPs and all sorts of routers.   If nothing else then seeing what IP is negotiated may help you if there's a fault with your account.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That maybe causing an issue

That's almost certainly the problem!. By setting the IP on the router you will not have got the correct gateway address.

As Spendlesstime says , you need to set the IP as being allocated by the ISP, that way it will also get the correct gateway allocated

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Spubgas

Thank you both for your suggestions

I'm currently at work and will try these and report back once I'm home.

When I tried connecting allowing the router to get an ip from plus net this is when it allowed partial connection. I can't remember the exact ip it gave me. I did notice it changed each time. If I recall it was something like 170.46.110.45.

Thanks for the help once again.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you fail to log in to the Plusnet radius server, then the BTW network will issue a Class B private network IP address in the range 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and hence no internet connectivity.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When I tried connecting allowing the router to get an ip from plus net this is when it allowed partial connection. I can't remember the exact ip it gave me. I did notice it changed each time. If I recall it was something like 170.46.110.45.

Did you have the correct username ( with the @plusdsl.net ) when you tried that ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Spubgas

Fix

Good Evening,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Having tried them all with no luck I rang customer support.

It appears that my broadband service hadn't been activated!

This despite receiving a text to tell me it had, and an on-line chat informing me it was ready to go.

I spend 3 hours last night trying to fix a problem which was basically impossible to fix from my end.

At least it is sorted now, and I have broadband again.

Once again, many thanks to those who took time to try and help me with this.

Guy