cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to +net 4MBS by day and 0.4 every evening - help!

MeteorUK

New to +net 4MBS by day and 0.4 every evening - help!

Joined +net on Monday after 3 happy years at TT. I have a Sky netgear dg934g router. I have only tested the speed between 12.30 and 13.30 when always get 4MBS - which I am happy with. Every evening I get 0.4 to 0.8 Mbs which is USELESS. I don't want to pay for a +net router when mine works perfectly well. Ideas please....
10 REPLIES 10
TechSup
Dabbler

Re: New to +net 4MBS by day and 0.4 every evening - help!

Quote from: MeteorUK
Joined +net on Monday after 3 happy years at TT. I have a Sky netgear dg934g router.

Daft question have you updated the username and password to your PN details?
We do see this a lot with sky routers that are locked.
MeteorUK

Okay, taken me an hour to figure out PN = +net. Question remains the same. What is my username and password and where do I need to enter it?
cedlor
Grafter

Dont really understand the last 2 posts.
You said " I have only tested the speed between 12.30 and 13.30 when always get 4MBS - which I am happy with."
Therefore you must be connected and must have already entered the  user name and password.
Do you know how to get the stats from the router - connection time /errors/ SNRM/ attenuation and so on.
Is the router left switched on all the time?  Were you with Sky previously and what speeds did you get.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: MeteorUK
. What is my username and password and where do I need to enter it?

Your username is the one you chose when you joined Plusnet,  this needs to be entered into the router as the login name for the DSL connection, but with the suffix of "@plusdsl.net".  It should be detailed if you login to your Plusnet account using this link ... https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser ; If that link doesn't work, login and look for Connection Settings, then Connection Details.    I'm not familiar with that Netgear router, which seems to be a special model specifically for Sky, but if you're not clear where to enter these details in the router, post a couple of screenshots and someone will be able to advise.
I found this article on how to convert a Sky DG934 to use standard software ...  http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/skyDG934.htm ; ... at your own risk of course!
MeteorUK

Thanks for your helpful posts.On Monday morning i was connected to TT as i have been for last 3 yrs. In the afternoon the internet connection stopped briefly and then continued. At around the same time I had a sms from +net to say i have now been switched over to +net. When I found the connection was very slow in the evening, I googled speed test and have since done many tests. At no point did i enter my +net details. I read somewhere online that I should check out my routers config pages. When i do that I see i am on a Sky ip and I can log in with user=sky and password=admin, but I haven't gone any further than that. Thanks for the router convert instructions but I do not have the where with all to do that. Any other suggestions?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Either you will have to configure your router to use your Plusnet login details, or, if that can't be done without flashing the standard netgear firmware, then you will need another router.
MeteorUK

This is my situation http://forums.hexus.net/networking-broadband/327981-i-switched-sky-plusnet-didnt-have-touch-my-route... except i do not want to use a different router. Yes the 3yrs i was paying TalkTalk i was still connected to Sky!
MeteorUK

Anyone know if my (unused) TalkTalk router will work with PN?
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What model is it ?
But : Why don't  you get a PN router? They are free, you only pay for the postage , and they work out of the box; you do not have to do anything to set it up.  (Before anyone jumps in with a clever answer - I know there are plenty of reasons to NOT consider a PN router for the more technically minded! )
mav:quote
MeteorUK

Yes I have paid postage for a +Net router (easiest option for me). Seems I was lucky it worked for 3 yrs whilst with TT. I just hope I get more than 0.4 to 0.8Mbs once the new router arrives. Thanks all.