Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet - very nice people - but so far very Poor ADSL

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New to Plusnet - very nice people - but so far very Poor ADSL

Joined Plusnet from Sky a week ago. I can't fault the people I've spoken to, all have been friendly ,polite and willing to help, no massive delays trying to get through.

The ADSL however is a massive disappointment. With Sky, I got just over 3M download consistently, as of this morning my download speed was 0.03 at one point. I live in a remote location, so it's a long line and I don't expect superfast speeds but can't see why the speeds I got from Sky cannot be approached.

I have a ticket / question open (194126385) so don't want to start a parallel investigation overall, but hoped some visibility here might help to get an investigation at the exchange underway since that's the only change on the line. I've also tried a different router to eliminate that possibility.

A quick update, I seem to have raised a fault by pressing a link in one of the 'how to' posts at the top of the forum. Maybe that's what was needed too?

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New to Plusnet - very nice people - but so far very Poor ADSL

Thanks for getting in touch @cancunia

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your download speeds.

From checking your account I can see you have an engineer booked to go out and investigate further.

Let us know how you get on after the visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
cancunia
Rising Star

Many thanks for the reply, after some line tests from PN support this morning my line keeps dropping so I'm guessing the fault is now more or less solid. As mentioned in your reply, the support agent ( [CSA Removed]) has booked an engineer for tomorrow to investigate further. I'll report back after.

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

cancunia
Rising Star

BT OR Engineer came this morning and after a lot of testing between the exchange and various cabinets discovered that a (BT) junction box on the outside wall of my house was full of water! He put a new box on the wall & also a new master socket inside with built in filter and all is now well again. We were both really surprised about the coincidence, but I know that I speed tested the connection for a before & after comparison so am certain that it was working fine with Sky, strangely enough it also worked for 3 or 4 days with PN.  

The OR engineer mentioned something about Sky using a higher db level on their hardware so maybe that's how the signal got through up til the change to PN then steadily degraded...

He also told me that my line passes through an FTTC cabinet about 1.5 miles from my house, but apparently ADSL lines on copper are not terminated in the FTTC cabinet but simply loop through on their way to the exchange, my line then passes through another cabinet about 3 miles away before it's final half mile to the exchange. Shame that I can't have my line terminated in the FTTC cabinet, but it's too far away from my house for FTTC and the cab is apparently only for FTTC. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hey @cancunia, thanks for the update.

We're pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved for you although it's disappointing that the engineer wasn't able to reduce the line length for you.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance with your account, we're here from 07:30 - 22:00 daily. (Unless you're the mighty @Gandalf, whom some say downloads his physical presence to the Community every night!)