cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet - thomson wireless router only works wired! Help

ecleen

New to Plusnet - thomson wireless router only works wired! Help

It's all been set up correctly according to the instructions and works fine wired.
The box is sitting side by side with my macbook.
As soon as you search for available wireless signals "plusnetwireless" does not appear in the list, however there are plenty "SKYxxxxxx" etc in range from neighbours houses.
The signal does not appear unless you press the re-transmit button on the front.
The mac then finds it no problem and will connect once you enter the WPA-PSK password. It's like snail and takes approx 10 seconds to load any individual page.
I get about 2 - 3 pages and then the signal disappears and when I re-scan on the mac there is no plusnet wireless available.
I have to then either press re-transmit and on the occasion where that doesn't work I have to turn the router off and then on again for the signal to show as reachable.
If I plug in the ethernet it works straight away (albeit still approx 3-5 secs per page to load  >:() but the mac still can't find the wireless signal unless the re-transmit button has been pressed or it's just been turned on.
Is this a Thomson wireless fault and should I be sending it back!
The mac connects to any BT, SKY, Netgear etc in various locations no problem and the signal never drops, whereas the plusnet wireless signal just disappears after about 20 - 30 seconds!  Shocked
The speed checker shows:
Today 12:26:  DL - 963 kbps (120kB/s) UL -  376 kbps (47kB/s)
Can anyone please help?
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New to Plusnet - thomson wireless router only works wired! Help

Have a look at this thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87758.0.html .  Another client experiencing wireless problems with newly-supplied routers.
suzieq1000

I have a similar problem but can't get the wireless access working at all.  My router is plugged in, good to go and works well using the Ethernet cable but as soon as I unplug it I lose connection to the internet.  I have a laptop and therefore need wireless access (unless I want to sit in the draughty hall).
I too contacted PlusNet who talked me through changing the channels (no joy) and then sent me another router but exactly the same thing has happened.  I even reinstalled the wireless card last night but still nothing.
They have suggested that I take my laptop somewhere else with a wireless signal to see if the problem is with me rather than with their equipment.  I explained that it worked perfectly well for years with my previous ISP (Wanadoo/Orange) and that the trouble only started when I joined PlusNet.
I'm not sure what will be suggested next as this seems to be terminal...
Sad Angry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: suzieq1000
They have suggested that I take my laptop somewhere else with a wireless signal to see if the problem is with me rather than with their equipment.  I explained that it worked perfectly well for years with my previous ISP (Wanadoo/Orange) and that the trouble only started when I joined PlusNet.

Nevertheless it could be a coincidence so Plusnet's suggestion is still worth a try.  I have also seen computer viruses that kill the wireless connection (presumably an accidental side-effect).  If you can prove that your computer can connect normally to another router then maybe Plusnet will send you another one to try at home?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ecleen
I've sent you a new router, please let us know if you have any further problems.
@suzieq1000
Can you send one of the faulty routers to Plusnet Towers marked for my attention so I can test further?