cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet, terrible experience so far :(

moarjin
Grafter

New to Plusnet, terrible experience so far :(

Decided to move to plusnet from Sky beacuse of their broadband offer.

Was previously with TalkTalk, then BT then Sky. Our broadband has been running at 4.6 to 4.8Mbps rock solid for over 6 years (probably more like 8 years).
Moved to plusnet and had to wait for a couple of weeks to get the broadband/phone switched over. Got connected and instantly lost just over 1Mb. It was hovering at around 3.5Mb.
Spoke to someone on the live help thing who said it was in the training period but they did up my profile for me.

I waited for 12 days or so to make sure I was out of the training period, and was getting increasingly frustrated by our connection. If I try to game online on my pc I get hit with pings of over 900. I cannot connect to xbox live reliably, and any sort of voice chat is choppy and unusable.
So I contacted support again. The guy told me that the speed is well within their estimations and there was absolutely nothing he could do. He then told me to try my old BT homehub2.0 to see if the router was at fault. I asked him if I could cancel my account since, being an avid online gamer, this situation is not acceptable, and he told me that I'd have to pay an early cancellation charge, even though I've only just got the package.
What could I do? So I tried the BT router. SAME problems. Went back to the Plusnet router, SAME problems, in fact, it's getting WORSE!
It's far from stable right now.  Plus, the line speed has dropped to just under 3Mbps now, and the reliability is getting worse! It took me 25 minutes to connect to xbox live just now, and all our devices couldn't connect to any internet, despite being "connected" on any router I tried.

But according to Plusnet, it's all fine.......

All I've done is give Plusnet my custom, and I feel like I've been shafted! Seems to me that, despite all the awards, they've certainly not done me proud!

SO, since they won't help me, and I can't get out of this crap for 2 years, PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY BROADBAND!  Embarrassed
26 REPLIES 26
moarjin
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet, terrible experience so far :(

Here's what I've tried so far.

Pulled off the built-in filter on the BT master socket (there's only one socket in our house- no extensions) and am now using an brand new filter plugged straight in the test socket.

Replaced the RJ-11 cable with a new one.

Tried a couple of routers, including the BT HomeHub2.0, as instructed bt the Plusnet support guy.

Here's a random screen dump of the BT router stats. I'll get one from the awful Plusnet router at some point too (next time the connection dies and I try that one instead)

x47c
Grafter

CRC and HEC errors are huge
Most significant are the errored-seconds:   5000+ in 1 day!
I'd guess there there is a fault on the line...........
moarjin
Grafter

It was, pardon the pun, over 9000 on the previous day, but I restarted the router to try and fix it.  Undecided

Most frustrating thing is, the support guy said it's all fine and there was nothing he could do  Embarrassed

ARRGH, I hit the reply button and realised I'd been disconnected! Took 5 minutes to get back on!  Angry
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi moarjin,
I've had a look at your line and I can see a number of errors appearing on there which isn't a good sign. I've submitted a request to have the port you're connected to, reset to see if it's something remote we can fix, so if you've noticed a few drops within the last 5 minutes, that would have been me.
Give it 24 hours and see if the connection stabilises, if it doesn't I would seriously consider raising a fault with us at https://faults.plus.net so we can look into this further for you.
Update: The Port Reset has been successful.
moarjin
Grafter

Thank you Chris.
I hope you can resolve this.
We've got absolutely no chance of getting FTTC out here before 2019 at the earliest, so every last kb of speed in precious to us. Losing over 1/4 of our speed (and now almost 1/2) is terrible.
But more than that, the stability has been worse. I just want our old connection back: Over 4Mb and rock solid. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem.
We'd much rather work with you to get the issue resolved. I've replied to your ticket as well, but I'd certainly raise a broadband fault if the issues persists and we'll get it fixed (if the Port Reset hasn't done the trick).
moarjin
Grafter

The router's been connected for 25 minutes and I'm already seeing errors. (see the attachment)
I know errors are quite normal, but I don't know what is considered excessive.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd raise a fault to be honest, your sync rate is horribly low, but it's lower than what I'd expect given it's history.
The line is still erroring too, so we've at least ruled out a port issue. If you could head to https://faults.plus.net and fill out the questions, that'll drop a fault ticket to our Faults Team for further investigation.
moarjin
Grafter

OK. Will do

Also, when you say it's still showing errors, do you mean you can see them at your end, or on my router?

Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see errors on the test platform that I have access to from our suppliers that we use to test our customers lines with.
It shows information similar to this: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-our-testing/
moarjin
Grafter

OK the fault ticket is in.
Almost as soon as I hit submit, my connection dropped, which I assume was an automatic test of some sort.
I'll leave the router on (no resets) and see what happens to stability/errors. Hopefully your engineers can track down what's up.

The bummer is, I've just bought one of my kids an xbox one for his birthday (which is on saturday). I'm trying to download a few games from xbox live before then, so he's got something to play on the day. It's not going too well so far  Undecided
If it stays this bad, or gets any worse, & he can't log into xbox live on Saturday, there'll be one sorely disappointed kid over here  Embarrassed
Fingers crossed  Smiley
moarjin
Grafter

Just a quick update before I go to bed.
The router has been connected for just 13 minutes and the errors are mounting up much quicker than before! (see the attachment)  Shocked
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you checked your phone line for noise? The CRC rate suggests bursts of noise. Any crackling noises etc indicate a bad joint somewhere.
Use the quiet line test 17070 option 2 if need be.
moarjin
Grafter

I just did one as you suggested, but couldn't really hear anything much. Mind you, my tinnitus is so bad, I probably wouldn't hear anything anyway!
Errors are mounting up. Only been on for 32 minutes!  Shocked