Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet Fibre - Slow Speeds

russelc
Dabbler

New to Plusnet Fibre - Slow Speeds

Hi,
I have just joined Plusnet on the unlimited 76mb fibre and phone plan and I have to say quality of service has been a breath of fresh air compared to Orange. However, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.
Yesterday the OR engineer installed the new fibre modem for me but from the first minute I connected I have not been able get above 30mbs downstream whilst I have been getting 17+mbs upstream. Whilst this is an improvement on the the 18mbs downstream speed I was consistently receiving on ADSL it is nowhere near the estimated 64mbs speed both Plusnet and BT indicated I should be able to receive downstream. For the first 25 hrs these new speeds stayed rock solid with +/- 100kbs until I just went through the Fault Troubleshooter to raise a ticket on this issue and as requested rebooted the modem and router. Having done so I am now barely receiving 23mbs and the BT Speed Tester is providing the following information;

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
22.06 Mbps

0 Mbps 23.95 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 22.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-23.95 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 23.95 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
16.41 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.41Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
So it seems that having rebooted my modem BT has immediately reprofiled my line to 24mbs down. This makes me think that even in the first 25 hrs my profile had been incorrectly started at approx 30mbs downstream even though it was correctly set at 20mbs upstream.
Can someone from Plusnet please look at this and let me know if my line have been incorrectly provisioned from the start and if so request it be correctly set?
If it was correctly set initially then am I correct in thinking that some form of line issue between the cabinet and my new master socket caused the profile to be lowered so much? If so then the only cause I can see, given the rock solid 18mbs downstream I got on ADSL for multiple years, is that the OR engineer connected the BT external wiring in the old master socket to an extension wire for a phone socket downstairs and also ran a short extension to a new master socket on the other side of the wall via crimp connectors. The downstairs phone socket no longer works, I foolishly let the engineer depart before testing this socket, and Plusnet apparently cannot book an engineer out to fix this until my phone is moved over to them from BT on 3rd Dec. If this is the cause then I guess I will need another engineer to visit to check the wiring but I will be unhappy if I need to wait until early December before this can be resolved.
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New to Plusnet Fibre - Slow Speeds

Hi russelc, welcome to the community forums.
I've checked and can see that the service was provisioned correctly so it seems we're looking at a fault.
If it was correctly set initially then am I correct in thinking that some form of line issue between the cabinet and my new master socket caused the profile to be lowered so much?

Partly, it could either be that or an issue at the exchange. Given that we've picked up that the connection is dropping frequently I'd suspect the former. Bear with us and our faults team will be replying to ticket 77481453 ASAP for you.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
russelc
Dabbler

Adam,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. When I went through the Fault Troubleshooter to raise a ticket and it asked me to say whether the line was being dropped intermittently or regularly the only way to proceed and get the ticket raised was to pick one of these options. In fact as far as I can see and having checked the router logs the line has not been dropped at all. I think I did mention this on the additional info section on the trouble shooter.
fiscelan
Grafter

Are you wired or wireless?
russelc
Dabbler

Fully wired. Desktop, router and modem all sit within 3 feet of master socket.
russelc
Dabbler

How long should I expect to wait for a response from the fault team?  I have not heard anything for 24hrs or am I being thick and there is another means of see the status of a fault ticket?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi russelc,
From the point of raising the fault, our Faults Team aim to respond back to you within 48-72 hours.
russelc
Dabbler

Thanks for the speedy response Chris. I shall try to be patient and wait another day or so for an update.
russelc
Dabbler

If you have read this post you will understand that I have not been able to achieve anything near the estimated speed of 64mbs for my line. Having raised a ticket Plusnet quickly arranged for an engineer to revisit my house and recheck all the wiring. According to the BTOR engineer wiring was good in the house but he did find a line fault which he says he has fixed. This was a wet joint on the copper between the the fibre cabinet and our house. This apparently was causing a significant drop in voltage and causing a bridge to another line. He says he has reset the line (DSLAM??) and it should now be running at the desired 80/20.
The engineer also said that if the slow speed persists the only other route would be to check the fibre ports at the exchange as he is now sure that there are no issues with the copper.
24hrs on since the BTOR engineer's visit and I am now running slower than ever. BT Wholesale test results below;
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
22.19 Mbps
0 Mbps 31.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 22.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-31.36 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 31.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
15.61 Mbps
0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.61Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
This speed is only 4mbs better than I was achieving on ADSL with Orange for 25% of the cost I will now be paying Plusnet.
Obviously I am massively disappointed with this situation and whilst I am sure Plusnet support will respond to my still open ticket I wondered if anyone else on the forum had heard of or suffered similar problems themselves? I am beginning to get a nasty feeling that my situation is going to turn out to be one of those that falls between the cracks and will remain unsolved.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you post the results from a thinkbroadband speed test please: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
russelc
Dabbler

russelc
Dabbler

In my instance Plusnet have confirmed that the provisioning was done correctly for the package I purchased.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@russelc
What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say for your current line speed?
@Woody12 I suggest you stick to your own topic unless you want to upset the moderators by making duplicate posts!
russelc
Dabbler

Current line speed is 31.2mbs. Estimated is 64mbs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's two mysteries then. Why is your sync speed so low and why are you not getting nearer to the IP Profile speed when you run speed tests.
I guess it's a case of wait and see what comes back from the fault ticket.