cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New scottish linx exchange SOON

scotty026
Dabbler

New scottish linx exchange SOON

So we are getting a new shinny Linx exchange in scotland (Edinburgh) in the next few months, any word if we will get routed through there instead of London ??
Yes people LOW pings  Crazy
8 REPLIES 8
mikehiow
Grafter

Re: New scottish linx exchange SOON

Low pings to where?
I suspect most of the stuff you're using is in London anyway?
I'd also imagine that your traffic will still need to travel to one of Plusnet's handover points from BT, so it's unlikely to make a difference anyway?
scotty026
Dabbler

Quote from: mikehiow
Low pings to where?
I'd also imagine that your traffic will still need to travel to one of Plusnet's handover points from BT, so it's unlikely to make a difference anyway?

I don't know how to answer that,
Do you understand how the broadband network in the UK works ?Huh
scotty026
Dabbler

Have a look at this page
http://www.plus.net/features/network/technical_info.shtml
Now if you added scotland into the telehouse circle I wouldn't be connecting to london but edinburgh
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

As you can see from that probably somewhat out of date picture, Linx is outside the Telehouse / PCL gateways.
mikehiow
Grafter

I have a reasonable idea Wink
I don't know where Plusnet's datacentres are, but they appear to take both handovers from BT in London, so I'm going to guess they are both in London, too.
So even if there was a Linx site in Scotland, you'd still have to go From BTOR's network to Plusnet's first, which from the diagram you posted, happens in London.
Unless Plusnet decide to add a Pop and take capacity from BT's WBC Interconnect in Edinburgh (I think that's possible? Or does it have to be a Core node?) - I'm going to bet against that happening though?
But let's say hypothetically, that did happen - 99% of the stuff you access is likely to be in London anyway, so you'll still end up getting routed to London. The only time you'd (hypothetically) see any real improvement in latency is if you were doing something on a network/server that happened to be closer to Edinburgh than London as well as peering at this new Linx site.
scotty026
Dabbler

At the moment at my work (Edinburgh) my ping to the BBC are 10ms (i have a provider in my work) but in my house I'm at 40ms
If plusnet decide to have a node in scotland (makes good business sense)  what do you think my ping would then be ?
I would say from my house to the Scottish node (5ms) then to london (another 15) so that would be 20ms to London, humm...  not bad if you ask me.
As you can see from that probably somewhat out of date picture, Linx is outside the Telehouse / PCL gateways.

If you look at the image correctly the carriers (linx, BT, Claranet etc..) are showing out side the telehouse but they are in these buildings, it's a typical network diagram.
Again back to the MAIN topic as i asked !! Any news if plusnet are coming to the Scotland linx exchange 
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Currently all of our DSL terminates in sites based in London.  Assuming the LINX LAN in Edinburgh works the same as IX Manchester then there is no link between that and the London LINX networks.  This means the overall peering available will be quite limited.  It also means we would need to back-haul all the data along the length of the country which would be very costly and increase your latency rather than reduce it.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
scotty026
Dabbler

Thanks for the update Paul  Wink