Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router won't sync in my house

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New router won't sync in my house

DLM clearly does not like what is happening with the DSL-AC68U or your line has developed a significant fault. The Target SNRM seems to have gone right up and consequently the speed has gone right down. The only way of double checking is to do a Graceful disconnect and put your Belkin back on line asap and post the full stats for it.
My suspicion is there is something not right with the AC68U settings or it's faulty  Shocked
mobby
Dabbler

The stats seem to be recovering, albeit I am still only able to connect via D.Gmt:
SNR Down: 6.0 dB
SNR Up: 7.0 dB
Line Attenuation Down: 52.5 dB
Line Attenuation Up: 23.5 dB
Data Rate Down: 7200 kbps
Data Rate Up: 800 kbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We could really do with someone from CRT confirming how this line is provisioned.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

It strikes me that if the DS SNRM is going up and down as much as the stats that you've posted show, then either the DSL-AC68U is faulty or you have a connection problem. Also the DS attenuation shown by the DSL-AC68U is somewhat higher than the figures given by the Belkin which was 42dB (it reports the DS and US attenuation figures the wrong way round btw although it wasn't giving the US figure). I'm thinking your line may be suffering a lot of noise, if it's not audible it might be interference from something, either of which might be intermittent.
So it's worth checking - Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? If need be, do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2.
mobby
Dabbler

Plusnet have now said that they have "made some changes to your connection which should make the connection work properly, we'll recheck these have had an effect within 72 hours". So it will be interesting to see what changes.
Anotherone
Champion

I take it you've raised a faultr, and that reply is unhelpful to say the least as it doesn't say what they have done.
I wouldn't mind betting that is one of the standard replies for "we've turned on Interleaving".  It irritates me no end that that cannot just tell customers exactly what they've done. We'll see if one of the CRT could check tomorrow.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 3dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
That was the profile. The SNR was too low, so forcing the connection to G.DMT was upping the SNR to 6, which is why that seemed to help.
The change we made was summarised on the bottom of a ticket, basically we've requested the target SNR to be increased.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that explanation Chris, however it appears from the stats provided right from the OP that this was done before the Asus DSL-AC68U was used, would that be right?
But even that does not explain the anomalies between the Belkin and the Asus stats. nor the apparent poor performance of the line, suggesting some sort of poor quality line or fault, or a lot of interference.
mobby
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
The change we made was summarised on the bottom of a ticket, basically we've requested the target SNR to be increased.

I assume I should now reconfigure the router to use ADSL2 instead of G.Dmt? The latest reply to the ticket says "We have made some changes to your connection and after retesting your connection there's been a positive improvement" but doesn't provide any further instructions. At the moment, the downstream speed has dropped to 5440 kbps whereas it was around 7000 kbps yesterday.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post the full stats, we might be able to give some constructive comment.
mobby
Dabbler

Here's the current state of play:
DSL modulation: ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
SNR Down: 11.5 dB
SNR Up: 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation Down: 52.5 dB
Line Attenuation Up: 24.0 dB
Data Rate Down: 5440 kbps
Data Rate Up: 736 kbps
MAX Rate Down: 5696
MAX Rate Up: 836
Anotherone
Champion

That's not looking especially clever at all. It gives the impression that your DS Target SNRM might be 12dB which would account for the slower speed, either that or you have a lot of noise coming and going. Also that 52.5dB DS attenuation doesn't match up too well the the US 24.0dB. Previous US figures would be more consistent with something nearer 42dB DS. I'm really not sure which figures to believe here.
One conclusion one can draw is that something is not right, playing with modes and Target SNRM's is only trying to mask the problem, not fix it.
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
Anotherone
Champion

By the way, what model Belkin was that you were using before?