cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router - speed has decreased

prynne

New router - speed has decreased

Hi - I've just installed a new router and I've found that my download speed has decreased. Is this normal and can I expect it to be temporary?
Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: New router - speed has decreased

Hi prynne,
Are you able to include some more information please.
How are you running the tests? Wireless/wired? What site? What speeds were you getting before and what are you getting now? Which router?
Thanks Smiley
Dan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Prynne,
Is this ADSL or FTTC?  If ADSL can you please post your full stats.
If FTTC, have you been switching off the BT modem?  FTTC DLM is very aggressive at managing a line's stability.  Repeated disconnection of a FTTC modem can cause the DLM to decrease the speed in an attempt to address what it sees as a stability issue.
Generally the DLM will, given time recover lost synch speed, if the cause of instability has been removed.  In the case of ADSL manual assistance might be required.  In the case of FTTC, there is no means of intervening except where a clear line fault is identified and rectified.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prynne

It's ADSL. It's a wired Netgear DG834v3 router. The previous speed was 6.8 Mbps and the current speed is 6.22 Mbps. I've tested it with various different speed tests including the BT one.