cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router setup

jahedur

New router setup

Hi guys,
Plusnet has been failing in delivering my router so I went and bought a router today but am having difficulty setting it up. Was hoping to get some expert advice. It's a TP Link N600. Did everything like the quick setup etc but it still doesn't connect can someone please please walk me through it.
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New router setup

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the issue with your router deliver from us.
Re the new router have you checked that the username has been entered with the correct @plusdsl.net suffix?
I ask as there are no failed connection attempts showing up on our logs.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: jahedur
It's a TP Link N600.

The model number would help Roll_eyes - there are a few N600s
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Armed with the model number we'll know whether you've got an ADSL or FTTC connection as well...
jahedur

Sorry it's all a lot for me sadly. Model number is TD w8980.
So far I've set it up the user as xxx@plusdsl.net but nothing.
Thanks for the help in advance guys.
PeeGee
Pro

Ok, that's an ADSL modem-router which is router only capable for fibre (similar to the 582n, but without two firmware versions).
Under network/wan you need:
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
connection type = PPPoA (though PPPoE can be used)
I would set the service name to Plusnet, but it is only an identifier.
The rest you have probably already setup (username/password ...).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Routefinder
Grafter

Let me ask the silly questions:-
Based on Adam's reply you are on the ADSL service?
If yes to above you have entered both the username & password?
Bearing in mind this is an ADSL & Fibre capable router have you plugged the modem cable into the correct port = the ADSL port and not the EWAN port? ~ for the record it is possible to plug the RJ11 terminated modem cable into an RJ45 EWAN/Ethernet port!
Assuming it has the DSL light on the front what happens with it all wired up...............does it flash, solid colour (is so what colour?) NB If the light is off/not showing then my comment about the cable port you have plugged into is quite relevant Wink
HTH and best of luck
jahedur

I'm on the fibre service.  So I followed the fibre settings such as enter the username and password and also set it to PPPoA (when selecting plusnet it doesn't let me pick PPPoE).
And the current set up I have is the DSL line from the socket connected to the open reach modem and a Ethernet running from the open reach modem to the tplink router. And from there an Ethernet running to my computer.
Following the troubleshooter on the plusnet I was able to however get internet when I bypassed the router and connected straight from the openreach modem not sure if that means anything???
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Ah!, so you're on Fibre , I've seen this problem before, you need to set the 8980 to use the EWAN port and PPPoE , see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115682.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeeGee
Pro

Ooops - I assumed ADSL (and appear to have removed that assumption from my previous post while editing  Embarrassed ) as the device is an ADSL modem-router which can be reconfigured as router only.
I fail to see the advantage of these devices vs routers, even as a stop-gap whilst waiting for fibre to be available.
jahedur

Ok so far I have connected the router up through the Ethernet line. Getting internet through that but have no wireless capabilities though. I've set the router up as a wireless router EWAN. Have I done anything wrong?
jahedur

Just updated my post with a screenshot of the router setting. Hope it can help you guys figure out whats wrong. Undecided
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Those settings have nothing to do with wireless, they are internet settings. Check that wireless channel is not set to 12 or 13, some devices will only work with channels 1 to 11

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.