cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router or powerline?

sticksman
Grafter

New router or powerline?

I now have my new fibre connection working at 30+mb across the house. Streaming over wifi to our Panasonic smart TV suffers from lag with frequent buffering interludes. The TV shows a three out of five bar wifi connection. Should I invest in a new router to get a stronger wifi signal or would powerline adapters be a better way to go?
4 REPLIES 4
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: New router or powerline?

It really depends on how much you want to spend. With the powerline adaptors you could install one by the TV.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Power line adapters put Ethernet where you want it. Ethernet is always going to be faster than wifi.  TV over wifi will also hammer other wifi connected devices.
I use Devolo units and have found them to be faultless.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I went the powerline route, mainly because I also have a Youview box and another PVR which don't have wifi. The powerline (Solwise 200AV) feeds a cheapo switch (Tenda) behind the telly. Alternatively you can get a powerline adapter with 3x ethernet ports built in
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Is a flat Ethernet cable tucked under carpet edge another option worth thinking about instead of the power line adaptors?
I've recently ditched the power line adaptors & gone the flat Ethernet cable route during a period of re decoration.