cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router needed, must support AirPrint

scfnet
Dabbler

New router needed, must support AirPrint

I'm on the lookout for recommendations for a new wireless adsl router, good range and AirPrint support is a must.
I currently have a Netgear DG834G v5 but it really doesn't like the new printer (Hp 3520) and AirPrint. The printer connects to the wireless ok and is useable as a printer from windows but the scanning over wifi doesn't always work and AirPrint is hit and miss. The printer also fails to connect the HPs web services for ePrint.
Connect everything to a dg834v2 and it all works fine. The only difference is on the v2 I can only select WPA not WPA2 encryption. I'm not sure if encryption is the issue as the printing and web interface works which ever router I use.
Any suggestions for a new router or how to fix this one?

Thanks.
Alastair
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: New router needed, must support AirPrint

Hi Alastair,
Do not assume that this is a router issue.
I have a Samsung WiFi printer which supports AirPrint and initially had no end of issues with it.
1. AirPrint services kept vanishing
2. The printer completely dropped off the network
I believe the cause was down to the router being configured for auto channel selection and the printer not following automatic channel shifts.  Setting the router to use a fixed channel cured my issues.
Note that the router is quite blind to the service being run over the wifi.
My other issue was, even though the wifi connectivity was fixed, the aggressive power saving configuration (bloody EU again) caused Airprint to go to sleep.  A firmware update fixed that.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragon2611
Grafter

Airplay/Airprint is a major pain as device discovery is multicast traffic but instead of following established standards apple decided to go and invent their own.
Causes all sorts of fun.
Bud
Grafter

I have found airprint to be quite reliable on my HP laser printer, although its connected to the network with an Ethernet patch lead and not wireless to the router.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You obviously need an iRouter with an iPrinter  Cheesy
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't think that printer has an ethernet connection. I solved my problems by making a print server with a Raspberry pi using cups print server.
"CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for OS X® and other UNIX®-like operating systems."
It's a bit over the top but it works well with all our equipment, even our phones. Have you tried the latest firmware for your router ?
scfnet
Dabbler

Thanks for the comments.
I have flashed the printer to the latest already and it made no difference and the router is on it last and latest version. Wifi is fixed to channel 11 as this appeared to be a common issue with Airprint from a google last night. I looks like there are lots of issues with the netgears and Airprint, although most of the problems are probably Apples faults rather than Netgear.
This printer is USB and WIFI / WIFI Direct only so fixed ethernet is not an option, not sure that fixed cable would help as it does look like Airprint is horrible! Strange that I've had no issues with an Epson workforce on an DG834V4 router.
I'd love to use a PI with CUPS but this is at the mother -in-laws so the fewer boxes for her to say "what does that do" an "oops I unpugged X" the better.
I think I'll just resort to saying you can't print unless you use your laptop! Anything else will have to wait until next time I'm visiting.
Alastair
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

"For the Bonjour service to "find" an AirPrint printer on the same network, the router must permit a TCP response on port 5354 to a UDP request on port 5353.  Some routers like the D-Link DIR-655 apparently block these ports by default.  I was able to solve my problem by setting up a Bonjour "Application Rule" that opens TCP 5354 in response to a UDP 5354.  This permitted my iPad2 to locate an attached AirPrint printer."
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3289543?start=0&tstart=0
I found that little snippet over on the apple forum, it sort of makes sense because avahi on my print server listens on port 5353
[tt]udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5353            0.0.0.0:*
1998/avahi-daemon:
[/tt]
Who knows!