cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router for fibre

theberrys
Grafter

New router for fibre

So, now that my exchange and cabinet have been upgraded to FTTC, I want to get a new router.  What I want to know is what type of router do I need when I get FTTC?  Is a normal ADSL router like the Asus DSL-N55U, or do I need a cable router like the Asus RT-N56U?
Cheers!
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New router for fibre

It's a cable one, a modem is provided on the install. The Netgear one supplied by PN is OK.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Since there is a minimum 18 month contract on FTTC there is no option to save money by not having the supplied router, similarly there is nothing to stop you using a 'better' one if you prefer (keep the supplied one as a spare).  What you need, specifically, is a router with an ethernet WAN port (internet port) and PPPoE authentication.
I'm not sure if everyone is still being supplied with the Netgear, I think they might be using the Technicolor 582n now.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mikeA

I am on the 80/20 trial FTTC and have ben supplied with a Technicolour TG582n, this is much better than the Netgear wn1000 that i was using when i was on the 40/10 FTTC, it is not as configurable as the netgear but is faster and much more reliable.BT openreach supply a HG612 modem which connects via ethernet to the router. one question i have, and have been unable to find out is wether the LAN ports on the BT modem are 10/100 or Gigabit ethernet, does anybody have any answers...?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT Modem LAN port is 10/100.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mikeA

Thanks for the info.....no point in investing in an Apple Airport Extreme......!!!! Undecided