cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router cannot connect to smart TV

raginohart

New router cannot connect to smart TV

I have a Samsung smart TV, and had no problems connecting this to my O2 router (it was easy), but since switching to Plusnet I can't connect - any advice? This is obviously not a Samsung TV issue, as it connected easily before I changed my provider
9 REPLIES 9
snailspace171
Grafter

Re: New router cannot connect to smart TV

Are you trying to connect wirelessly? Or is it Wired connection?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Also, do let us know if you've seen any particular error messages that might hint at what the issue is.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
koan1011
Dabbler

What Model TV is it?
My Samsung UE40D6530 could connect via 3 Mifi, I'll be giving it a go with TP-Link router on Plusnet when it is activated.
raginohart

It's a Samsung UE26EH4000WXXU. I'm trying to connect wirelessly, which was no problem at all with my O2 setup. There are no error messages, it just says 'disconnected' and 'try turning the router on and off again' (no effect). It recognises that the  network is there, but for some reason, the router does not seem to allow the TV to connect. I've been through the process of trying to get it to connect a dozen times - frustrating!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Try disabling the wpa/wep and see if it connects then after it has connected try working up to wpa2 on both.
raginohart

I'm sorry, I don't know what that means!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

WPA and WEP are two types of wireless authentication, these are normally given as options in the settings for devices like your TV, smartphones, games consoles etc that can connect to a network wirelessly.
So, you should be able to switch between those protocols which is what Hairy Biker is suggesting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
koan1011
Dabbler

Not sure if it helps but I was accessing my network using a wpa-psk key.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well that's definitely more secure than WEP, but have you tried doing as Hairy Biker suggested and disabling the password to see if that lets the TV connect? If it does, then try a WEP password and see if it'll connect to that, and keep working your way up the chain (No password, WEP, WPA, WPA2).