cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router broadband light not staying on

caitblick
Grafter

New router broadband light not staying on

We've had quite a few delays with getting our broadband set up since we initially placed the order at the start of May but yesterday I got the email and text to let us know that our line was now active for broadband.

I got the Plusnet router all set up following the instructions. Waited for the broadband light to go solid, which it did for all of a minute or two before flashing again. Waited a bit longer before using the ethernet cable to connect it. Line started flashing again, which was fine, the instructions said that might happen.

Except we're still waiting.

The light will go solid for a minute or two and then goes back to flashing.

I left it all night because I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that it could take up til midnight for the line to go active but this morning we're still getting the flashing light/solid light/flashing light thing going on. I even tried totally disconnecting it and starting over.

The Internet light comes on occasionally and the wifi light is on (devices in the house are picking it up as well).

I'm just at a loss for how long this is actually supposed to take.
15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New router broadband light not staying on

Is it the HubOne router you have been supplied?

During set up you'll see various colours on the LED panel, green, orange & when its connected to internet a solid blue.

Have you had solid blue at all?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. Unless one of my colleagues gets to this sooner I'll take a look into your account this afternoon when I'm in the office.
@Gel Sounds like he's not using a Hub One as the broadband/internet light has been mentioned.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
caitblick
Grafter

It's the 2704n router.

I'm getting a solid green light for about two minutes at a time and then it goes back to flashing. The wifi light is permanently on. Sometimes we get the internet light as well (green not red).

caitblick
Grafter

Thanks. 🙂

It's the 2704n.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

The broadband light indicates sync to the exchange. When it flashes there's a physical fault somewhere.
You could try running a line test yourself online at https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/
And then following the steps in the broadband troubleshooter http://faults.plus.net if the line test doesn't find a fault.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
caitblick
Grafter

Thanks. I'm currently six miles from the router, but once I'm back by it I'll run through it as the phone line fault checker is just giving me an 'oops something went wrong' message.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You are connecting, but very very briefly each time:

I've tried to test the line this morning but keep catching it when it's not in sync. I'd definitely advise the troubleshooting links provided by Anoush.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
caitblick
Grafter

Thanks for looking at it.

This seems to match what's happening. Would this mean the fault is with the line or the router?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

@Gel Sounds like he's not using a Hub One ;

YES I AM; received in March at my renewal time, so have the nice blue glow, on dim setting Smiley

Chris
Legend

We know you are, Anoush's response was indicating that what the original poster had said suggested *they* were not using one.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

@caitblick wrote:

Thanks for looking at it.

This seems to match what's happening. Would this mean the fault is with the line or the router?

It could be either, or neither and something else causing interference. It's best to run through the troubleshooting and get a fault reported.

caitblick
Grafter

Thanks Chris.

I'll be back home in the next couple of hours so I'll run through it all then. Hopefully it's easily (and quickly) fixed.

caitblick
Grafter

Ended up having to phone yesterday and book an engineer for Monday which I wasn't particularly pleased about because that means another day off work but if it gets us connected then fair enough. We've waited seven weeks at this point, another couple of days doesn't really make much difference.

We're still getting the flashing/solid/flashing light on the router and when we plugged a phone in we're not getting any dial tone at all. Interestingly, if we phone it from our mobile we do get the phone to ring, but you can't actually hear anything at the other end.

Just thought I'd update in case anyone else is having the same problem.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you sure you have got the leads in the correct sockets in the back of the router?

I have seen similar results many years ago which turned out to be the leads in the wrong place.