cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plusnet fibre router can't see Netgear NAS or wireless printers

LittleFernhill

New plusnet fibre router can't see Netgear NAS or wireless printers

Hello and thank you for looking.
I've just had a Plusnet fibre router installed (in place of my Netgear ADSL router) and it works fine but it can't see my Netgear RND2120 NAS or Brother WiFi MFC.
First the NAS.
It's connected to the network by ethernet cable via a Netgear switch.
The same swirth is used by my desktop PC, which is connected OK.
Windows 7 network map on my desktop shows the NAS present with an IP address of 192.168.0.12, but it doesn't show in Windows Explorer>Network.
Netgear RAIDair finds the NAS after a scan but clicking Setup (which opens a browser and tries https://192.168.0.12/admin/) fails to open it.
Secondly the Brother MFC.
It says it's connected to the WAN via the Plusnet router's WiFi, using the appropriate password.
Windows 7 network map on my desktop doesn't show the MFC, but it does show in Windows Explorer>Network.
Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Add a network printer fails to find any trace of the MFC.
How can I get these back?
I tried Plusnet but they said they couldn't offer any support, which is very disappointing.
If you can offer any advice, I would be very grateful.
22 REPLIES 22
AndyH
Grafter

Re: New plusnet fibre router can't see Netgear NAS or wireless printers

It sounds more of a Windows issue to me.
Are the NAS and printer in the same Windows workgroup?
Can you ping the NAS? Start > Run > cmd (enter) > ping 192.168.0.12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The plusnet router by default is on a subnet of 192.168.1.x.
If your NAS and MFC have static ip's they will need to be changed to be on the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63
Then windows may need to be told about the new addresses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LittleFernhill

Thanks for your replies.
I don't know how to check devices by workgroup, but I haven't changed any of the device settings since the router switch.
Pinging the NAS returns Request timed out.
I can't access the NAS to change any of its settings (as far as I know, it's fixed at 192.168.0.12), nor can I get at the MFC.
What a nightmare!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In order to communicate with the NAS it MUST be on the same subnet as the router.
If you can"t change the NAS then you will need to change the Tg582 subnet to 192.168.0.x
There's a link to a guide in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120766.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LittleFernhill

Thanks MisterW - how do I do that?
LittleFernhill

Ignore my last comment - I didn't see the link you'd posted!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's OK , it wasn't there when you posted Wink

picbits
Rising Star

As above - your existing devices are on 192.168.0.x
Your router is on 192.168.1.x
There may be other issues but certainly that is where the glaringly obvious problem is.
LittleFernhill

I have to admit MisterW that this all looks horribly complicated and rather above my modest comprehension.
This was so much simpler with Netgear.
Do I have to use this Technicolor router or could I replace it with a different router from Netgear?
ghos7em1
Grafter

have you tried telnet into router and using this command eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled a few media things didnt show up till i did this fix
LittleFernhill

Thanks for your suggestion but I'm awfully sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
Could you please try that again?
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

As suggested, you need to move either a pc or the router to the subnet that the nas resides on, you said 192.168.0.12 ?
If that is correct then you need to get into the nas, you can either set a temporary ip address on your pc to get to the nas by following this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/
you need to setup the ip like so...
ip 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.12
dns server 8.8.8.8
dns server 8.8.4.4
When done go back to the option "obtain an ip address automatically" see picture belw
Or you need to change the ip address of the router by using this... http://help.spark.co.nz/ci/fattach/get/5042877/1321574458/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg1ODI...
launton
Grafter

Searching for that specific NAS on the netgear site returns this manual
It states you can access the NAS at  https://192.168.168.168/admin ; (see pic for other info)
Manual:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf
I suppose it's possible to plug the netgear back in temporarily to access your NAS and change it's IP address to suit the new router if you can access the setup page.

ghos7em1
Grafter

enable telnet on your computer.then type telnet 192.168.1.254 it will ask you for your user and password type in the user and pass you use for your router.then once you logged in type this command eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled.press enter and type in saveall press enter.