cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone line required to replace old one

Susie_1010
Dabbler

New phone line required to replace old one

Could anybody help - I kept having intermittent faults on broadband and phone line was crackling about a year ago an engineer came out and changed the old "plastic thing" on the wall where the line enters the house, but said if the fault returns I will need a new phone line - it is overhead cables approx 60 years old where I live, the sort that swings from telegraph poles, the cabinet is about 50 yards from my front door - there is no fibre here. Would I have to pay for a new phone line? And cost? I can barely watch catch up TV - the buffering is dreadful - programmes stop and go back to the beginning.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

Re: New phone line required to replace old one

@Susie_1010 The best thing to do is contact Plusnet and see what they say. If it is merely the external line, then that is BT/Openreach's problem, not yours.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Hi Susie

You'd need to raise a fault and get an engineer appointment.  They'd likely investigate again and would replace the line for free if they determined it needed to be.  They may look over the previous notes and see what the previous engineer has said (if he noted that), though they may look at your connection and come to a different conclusion and decide on a different fix.  TBH that is all largely out of your hands.  All you can do is raise a fault, if you get an engineer hope they are a good one (most probably are, but you often hear about the ones that aren't), and ply them with tea and biscuits when they do arrive!

Edit: @jab1 is typing faster than me!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Susie_1010
Dabbler

Thank you for your responses, much appreciated. The last engineer was lovely, explained everything, didn't want any tea though! I would happily welcome him back