cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New on FFTC, problem setting up Static IP with Billion 7800N router

kane

New on FFTC, problem setting up Static IP with Billion 7800N router

Hi
Just wanted to say perfect install, OpenReach engineer was very amicable and his conduct was very professional both pre, during and post install, no issues at all..very happy with my first foray into FTTC. However, only trouble i have is setting up a static IP now. Everything seems fine when the Network Adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically. However, when i attempt to use a Static IP (provided by Plusnet) for the purposes of port forwarding i get the following error message:
The default gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP address and subnet mask. Do you want to save this configuration?

If i do, i lose internet access until i revert back to obtaining an IP address automatically.
Has anyone managed to get their Billion router configured with a static IP?
The IP address provided by Plusnet is in the subnet range 84.92.x.x, while my default gateway (via Ipconfig /all ) is 192.168.1.254.
Do i need to change this default gateway somewhere in the router config to be in the same subnet range as the IP address provided by Plusnet and if so can someone advise how i go about doing this?
Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New on FFTC, problem setting up Static IP with Billion 7800N router

You have it correctly configured - you need your router set to obtain IP address automatically. Every time you connect to the internet you get assigned the same IP address, which you can easily check either in your router's GUI, or go asking What is MY IP address?
As for the port forwarding set up in your router, you will need to select the device (PC or whatever) that you are looking to open ports for by its internal IP address, which will be 192.168.n.n
kane

Re: New on FFTC, problem setting up Static IP with Billion 7800N router

Yep many thanks Jaggies that did it  Roll_eyes problem sorted