Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line, very low capped sync.

Lemmiwinks
Grafter

New line, very low capped sync.

Hi again.
A couple of years ago you all helped me fix a problem that ended up being a line card issue at the exchange. I've recently moved house to a new build and have my first problem. When the first 2 engineers arrived to connect my line/broadband, they said they couldn't do it and it looked like the "wires weren't connected together." Another engineer arrived an hour later (who didn't know what an ISP was) and said the same thing and that a road going to the exchange would need to be dug up to put a heap of wiring in. It all sounded bizarre to me. He went away for half an hour or so and said he was able to connect it to another street. But since then I've synced at nothing more than 1mb. I hope you can help me once again...
When I transferred my connection, it appeared I would receive around 8mb. The Plus.net member centre appears to believe I'm on 7.15mb which would be correct for my line, except I'm not. My router is synced at the stats below, no matter what I do. Its the same router I used for Plus.net at my old address and I've even reset it and tried other filters. Nothing I do changes the stats below;

Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 4376549
Lan Rx : 2654241
ADSL Tx : 151782
ADSL Rx : 153632
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 27.0
SNR Down : 34.5
Line Attenuation Up : 14.0
Line Attenuation Down : 26.0
Data Rate Up : 288
Data Rate Down : 1152

It's always 1152 and 288. I've only restarted 2/3 times over 24 hours.
Estimated line speed:7Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2014-04-25 21:10:31Current line speed:7.15 Mb

The first part of the BT speedtest is consistent with the above and the second part flat our refuses to work no matter which device or browser I use. I've phoned Plus.net twice but they seem to think its normal and quote the 10 day training period, but it seems way too low for that. Any advice? I don't buy that this is normal. The line went active last Thursday.
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New line, very low capped sync.

This will be picked up tomorrow
This has nothing to do with the 10 day training period - either Plusnet or BTw have put you on a 1Mb fixed speed connection
This is the second one I have seen recently although the previous one was 512kbps fixed speed http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125416.msg1095900.html#msg1095900
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Thanks for restoring my sanity OldJim. To be told over and over this is normal has been quite stressful! 1mb is bad enough, can't even imagine being trapped on 512kbps.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Lemmiwinks
Our profile appears to match BTs at the moment so I've submitted an SNR reset.
I'll be checking back after 30 mins or so to see if I can update the profile.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Adam, Did you check he's provisioned on ADSL Max or WBC ADSL and not a fixed speed product?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Lemmiwinks 
Sorry for any confusion, you're on a fixed 1mb product I've not been used to seeing that for some time!
Let me know if you want to try moving the service on to ADSL Max.
I've updated the profile on your account in the meantime.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

SNR Down : 34.5
Line Attenuation Down : 26.0

With those figures, provisioning on 1Mb was obviously an error so I don't see why you need confirmation from him before it is corrected!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll sort this with Lemmiwinks Jelv
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Adam,
Whilst you are looking into this case, it would be useful to understand how this happened (defaulted options on BTOR's antiquated backend systems which someone forgot to alter?) and explore how it could be prevented.  This is potential design input to the new provisioning system.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Uh, yes, please change this. As much as buffering adds to the suspense of films, it takes about 3 times as long to watch them. I'll be going home around 1pm and will post the router stats if your changes take effect by then. Thanks!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Whilst you are looking into this case, it would be useful to understand how this happened

We always look at that Townman, we're not always able to share with you what's happened but I will be either passing on feedback if this is down to human error or pointing out any system failings if there are any to the right people here. It's human error on this particular one, glad to say it's someone who's usually a lot more on their game but I will be giving them a nudge all the same.
@Lemmiwinks
There's an issue preventing me from modifying the line at the moment, I'll raise this with BTW as we'll need their intervention. Keep you posted.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
It's human error on this particular one, glad to say it's someone who's usually a lot more on their game

Adam,
Forgive me, but my background is QA and business processes systems - there seem to be a number of issues identified on the forum to day, put down to human error.
In this case is the "error" that of a "wrong action or instruction" or was it "an omission to correct the default option offered by the system"?
All too often IT are not as effective as they ought to be in supporting human interaction - this is most frequently seen where there is a list of (drop down) options arranged in size sequence with the first being the default option, even where that is the least typical required.
Not setting the "most popular" option as the default leads to the necessity for manual intervention, the absence of which can become another "human error" statistic... along with the consequential customer dissatisfaction.  You guys have more than enough to do without the addition of system generated problems arising from non-optimal configurations.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Any ETA on a word back from BTW, Adam? I really hope this is a simple fix.
jim:green Note that this hasn't been modified - there was a case of hitting the wrong button mod:end
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Lemmiwinks
Sorry for the confusion on this one, some records weren't up to date on the account which is the reason why, a reference from your line wasn't updated correctly so that's another piece of feedback to pass on and I'm so sorry that 2 mistakes have impacted you.
This particular issue meant that I couldn't see that you're waiting to to be upgraded to fibre. The open fibre order is why I can't modify the circuit in the meantime. The only way to do that would be to cancel the fibre order, modify the existing service then raise another fibre order, this will put the appointment right back though so my advice would be to sit tight until fibre is installed or delay things if the getting the issue in hand fixed is more important to you.
In this case is the "error" that of a "wrong action or instruction" or was it "an omission to correct the default option offered by the system"?
Most likely the wrong action given the person that did this is one of our most experience provisioning agents. I'll be passing on the feedback and their manager will in turn pass that on to them. Defaults should never come into it as circumstances vary so much from customer to customer so I'd be extremely concerned if anyone in that side of the business wasn't consciously selecting the right provisioned product for each customer.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Adam, Am I correct in thinking modifying the circuit will be a 5 working day order? If so that might affect the OP's decision on which option to take.