cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New laptop - slow browsing but speed test looks fine.

killahbee
Dabbler

New laptop - slow browsing but speed test looks fine.

Hi,
I recently replaced my 7 year old laptop. I've allowed it to do all the necessary Windows Updates over the past couple of weeks but Iexperience slow browsing speeds. All other devices (Smartphones, tablets etc, including old laptop) browse at the speed expected, and using the new laptop on my parent's WiFi the problem seems to disappear.
My internet speeds are as follows:
Download: 19mb
Upload: 0.29mb
Ping: 51.88ms
Which seems OK from my limited experience? The internet pages sometime take 10-30 secs to open, as if the browser is thinking about it, but it's an intermittent problem and will then open a page instantly - so there is never a pattern to it. I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome, all with the same issue.
I appreciate it's not quite a Plusnet issue, but any advice t why I may be experiencing this issue? I'm using the Technicolour router provided by Plusnet.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
iruhaku
Dabbler

Re: New laptop - slow browsing but speed test looks fine.

Check your WIfi card and update the firmware if there an update available., have you checked to see if the laptop works good when you are wired? try also changing channels or encryption method WPA/WPA2 to WPA2 only?
grandpajohn

Looks like the same problem I was struggling with for weeks, until finding this forum. The Technicolour TG582 router does not play nicely with Windows 8 and 10. Our older pre-Win8 devices connected to the same router work fine, but hook in the shiny new laptop and it intermittently stumbles, falls and stops with internet connection errors regardless of browser.  All to do with DNS apparently.
Search this ADSL forum for ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT and you will find some recent helpful threads. I'm still working through several possible solutions to determine the best resolution.
Changing the DNS settings in the laptop's adaptor properties (IPv4) to the plusnet DNS (212.159.6.9) works OK at home with the plusnet router. But go to another network with a non-plusnet ISP and laptop doesn't connect until plusnet settings  are removed. Haven't tried the OpenDNS settings (208.67.222.222) yet but in theory this should be better. Also looked into changing the DNS settings in the router today, but that's not straightforward.
So yes, it is very much a Plusnet issue as it's the hardware they supply to us users which is the root of the problem, not Windows or the laptop.   
Hope Plusnet will publish an FAQ with resolution to this issue which will likely affect every Windows 10 user with the TG582 router.
grandpajohn

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@grandpaJohn,
A warm welcome to the forums and a nice piece of research.  If using Win8/8.1/10 with the TG582n router one sees browser timeouts then the first diagnostic should be to run up a CMD prompt and try to ping the failing URL.
If the returned IP address is 198.18.1.x than you do indeed have the same issue as the threads you've linked to.
At present I'm managing the issue by setting the affected PC's NIC (network cards) to PN's DNS servers.
The really confusing thing about this issue is it is an interaction between the router and the OS.  Consequently as killahbee states, other devices are OK making identification of the location of the issue difficult.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grandpajohn

Hello Townman,
just like you, I'm managing the issue by setting the DNS for TCP/IP v4 in the network adaptor to use OpenDNS servers 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220. This is on the Win10 laptop.  As I mentioned before, setting the PlusNet DNS values here worked OK whilst at home using the PNet TG582n router. But going away from home over Christmas and connecting to other routers I got different DNS-related errors indicating I was not reaching the PNet DNS. So reset the adaptor to 'obtain DNS server address automatically' and all was fine whilst away from the TG582n.
Now I'm back home running more tests, on the Win10 laptop, with TG582n router, DNS settings at 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. Note - did not flush DNS cache after making this adaptor setting change.
Open browser,  google search for 'DNS cache', got page of results OK. Click on one of the results, browser (Chrome) times out ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.
CMD prompt is already open, ready to ping the url, just the www.howtogeek.com ; part.
results:  pinging  www.howtogeek.com (198.18.1.129) with 32 bytes of data:
              Request timed out
So exactly as you predicted, I do have the same issue as many others  - Win10 and TG582n do not play nicely together and go out to find a DNS server
and to round it off, put the adaptor setting back to use OpenDNS server, no DNS cache flush, open browser, all sites found just fine, no timeouts. CMD prompt ping to several urls all return successfully showing appropriate IP addresses.      QED.
I'm typing this on a different Windows7 machine, using the same TG582n router, and never have experienced any problems with this combination.
So I haven't added anything new and insightful to this issue, just confirmed the scenario once again. If I can help with any investigation by gathering diagnostics for somebody infinitely more technically-minded than me I'll be pleased to help.
Till then I'll keep on managing the issue by using OpenDNS for the Win10 laptop! 
killahbee
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, and sorry I haven't responded earlier. I thought I would get an email notification to tell me there had been replies - but obviously not!
I was meant to mention in my original post that the wifi use at my parents was using their older version of the Plusnet router.
I will take a look at the links and try get my head around what I need to do, it looks like something I need to sit down and read before tackling.
Would buying a new router solve the problem or is that a bit extreme? (of course assuming the fixes don't work!).
Also, for me the problem is a lot less frequent when I have my Kaspersky Anti Virus turned off. So not sure what that means!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Buying a new router might well avoid the issue - not that we fully understand the cause.  Profiling the symptoms and then knowing how to manage them is not the same as knowing and avoiding the cause, therefore there can be no assurance that any other specific router will not encounter the same issue.
Buying a new router is a bit extreme when the specific symptoms can be avoided as described above or alternatively as described (reminded) here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.msg1298207.html#msg1298207 - in my own thread.
Hope that helps?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.