cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install speed 50% of sync speed - all diag tools'broken'

plexy
Grafter

New install speed 50% of sync speed - all diag tools'broken'

BT engineers have just left and the speed is lower than expected. Im 100m from the cabinet and only getting 35//15. The sync speed is 78mbps so this is a not down to new line training
speedtest.btwholesale.com reports:
Download speed 38.42
Upload speed: 15.95
Ping time: 30.25  

This speed test is also corroborated by speedtest.net to multiple unique servers on multiple ISP's
Trying to use BT's 'further diagnostics' on the BT speedtest.btwholesale.com page I get

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

According to plusnet members area my sync speed is 78mbps (pretty much as expected for line length and wire being < 8 years old):
Phone exchange:
   GREAT OAKLEY
Estimated line speed:
   71Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-08-13 18:53:22
Current line speed:
   78 Mb

If I try to use fault.plus.net:
There's been a problem
We're sorry, but you can't use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report a fault on your service. Please contact our Support Team for help.

The phone support line has a queue of over 20 minutes and I dont have time to wait right now, is there any super super admins on the forum here who can tell me whats going on and fix this?
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New install speed 50% of sync speed - all diag tools'broken'

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the issue. The reason the fault checker is failing is just because the order hasn't been closed off by our suppliers yet so the connection isn't flagged as being in service.
I'll need to use the same diagnostic tools that system relies on to look into this so I'll revisit this later in the afternoon for you.
Ada,
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plexy
Grafter

Thanks Ada,
I also just got through to support who said it was because the order is still open with BT. Will check back here for your updates Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

...because the order is still open with BT

That's exactly it, it's still not been closed off yet so I'll revisit this again tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plexy
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Looks like things got sorted on BT's side i can now get into diagnostics. About an hour ago, it was showing 44mpbs on a downstream IP profile of 77mbps, with about 19.5mbps upload on an upstream IP profile of 20mbps.
Re-running the test just in the past 10 mins, it looks like I have lost around a quarter of the upload speed (now 15mbps on upstream IP profile of 20mbps), but the download speed is now as it should be - 73.09mbps down on 77.44 profile.
I also thought of something I raised with the engineers when they were here, the quiet line test (17070, option 2) has a nasty hum in the background (test socket used to check). the engineer swore blind that he couldn't hear any problematic noise on the line and the line is fine, but that hum there to anyone else listening to it - clear as day. Sounds like mains hum and I will try tomorrow with a different handset and also with all of the mains off in our house to eliminate anything on our side. Can you confirm if a hum on a quiet line test is viewed as a voice fault by plusnet? I pay my line rental to you so its a plusnet line.
Of course, the speed issues could be nothing to do with the actual vDSL2 leg, the sync speed has been 78mbps all day so this could actually be backhaul congestion in this locality and its just the right time of night for a lot of people to hit the bed. I will check the speeds again tomorrow and feed back, I guess if it starts going back down to the 40's during the day then we have a good idea of what may be afoot Wink
Out of interest, are you able to pull the stats from the CPE modem here? Id be really interested to see what the frequency graph looks like and what the bitloading is. Ive got my own vDSL2 modem floating around somewhere, may switch to that as its unlocked and gives me access to the raw stats directly - though I prefer to leave the modem chipset matched to the DSLAM.
plexy
Grafter

Things are very much poorer this morning;
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
12 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
11.97 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.97Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I could understand this if it were the line sync speed and profile changing to line conditions, but that seems to remain constant. if the speed between my house and the cabinet isnt changing, then why is the throughput so terrible during the daytime but works relatively great at night?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

What's your Current Line Speed?
plexy
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
What's your Current Line Speed?

unchanged:
Estimated line speed:
    71Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-08-13 18:53:22
Current line speed:
    78 Mb
plexy
Grafter

Back up to 69/16 now.
\o/
Nothing like stability eh? Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
Thanks for the updates.
Out of interest, are you able to pull the stats from the CPE modem here?

We can't, we do have access to diagnostic tools to give us the information we'd need to investigate faults but I don't believe we can see frequency graphs or bitloading, it's more likely that engineers working for our suppliers would be able to see that level of information.
Can you confirm if a hum on a quiet line test is viewed as a voice fault by plusnet? I pay my line rental to you so its a plusnet line

If it's to a significant level and causing issues for you, yes. I've just run a line test which didn't identify any problems but let me know if that's something you'd want to pursue further.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plexy
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Re the vDSL stats, its OK I will switch out to my vDSL2 modem when I have unpacked it and check into the stats directly. Just curious of the state of the line (for example, are some frequencies being cut because of the hum I hear). No point you guys doing it if its not easy to obtain.
The phone hum i will raise as a fault if it becomes too annoying.
for the moment, the main thing im worried about is the connection speeds, they seem to fluctuate quite a bit, even though the line speed and IP profile do not change. This morning I saw a 80% reduction in throughput even though line speed and profile remained at normal levels, though it is back up to normal again now. all tests are conducted using ethernet to the router and no other devices are connected.
In your opinion, where could this slowdown be coming from if the vDSL2 line speed and profile is not changing?