Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - Slow speeds

xreyuk
Grafter

New install - Slow speeds

Hi there,
I've had my FTTC installed around an hour ago.
The initial estimations from Plusnet (and all the other providers) were 34Mbps down, 10Mbps up., and the BT address checker showed somewhere between 34-49Mbps down on a 'clean' line.
At the moment, I'm currently speed testing at around 6-20Mbps down, 9-10Mbps up. My browsing is slow too.*
Is there any reason that my download speeds may be slow to begin with? I understand about the 10 day training period, but didn't expect speeds to start as low as this.
Thanks.
*(All the speeds were tested with a wired connection).
44 REPLIES 44
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: New install - Slow speeds

Hi xreyuk,
We're still waiting for confirmation to come through our suppliers systems that the order has been completed. Your line will remain on an open profile for the first 2 days. I'd give it a few days and see how things get on. If you're still having problems at this point, please do let us know.
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Chris, no problem.
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Chris,
I know it's only just been over two days, but I'm still seeing slower speeds than quote of around 6-18Mbps.
On the first day, according to the Plusnet website, I was synced at 37Mbps, and then yesterday, DLM caused a resync at 40Mbps. I also don't know if this is normal for a new circuit, but I'm seeing minor packet loss, and the odd ping spike., as shown here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2f4287cb2096a2dd1b9aa7d5f397070e.html

Would I still be on an open profile at this point? Should I give it a bit longer and hope it sorts itself out?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi xreyuk,
I've just taken another look at your line and it looks to me as though it's still training a little. We can't see a profile on your line yet which is usually an indication that the line is still going through that process, I'd probably give it until Monday so it has the weekend too.
Your Line Stats are:
Downstream Speed: 49.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 12.0 Mbps
We can check back on Monday and see how things are going.
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Chris,
No problem. I've had problems with previous suppliers in the past, so always try and get potential problems raised early.
Thanks.
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Another question I had was, should I be seeing any packet loss? I've had a TBB ping graph setup for the last two days, and have been seeing constant, minor packet loss, somewhere between 0-5% but pretty constant. I assume the spike in packet loss are resyncs. On a side note, the PlusNet website is still only showing me synced at 40Mbps, not 49Mbps.
Here's the graphs.
12/06/14

13/06/14:
Terranova667
Pro

looking at the graph there doesn't look like any re-syncs to me usually for that the red spikes go all the way to the bottom of the graph yours goes half way down if that so more a big burst of packet loss than re-syncs, looking at the constant packet loss spikes at the top of the graphs they can be a sign of noise on the line might be worth reporting a fault and see if Support can see something wrong.
petecov44
Grafter

Like ours your service will probably nose dive and you will lose lots of speed.
Nothing new there - welcome to Plusnet xreyuk.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Pete,
Such issues are related to BTOR and the characteristics of FTTC.  If the delivery path - BTw Fibre and the local phone circuits are defective then the experience will be the same irrespective of which ISP you pays your money to.
Estimates are just that - estimates provided by BTw (not the ISPs) based on what the local circuits are believed to be able to deliver.  Beyond a fibre / card / exchange fault, all lines get full synch at the cabinet.  All degradation of synch speed is caused by the d-side wires and the impact is proportionately more that for ADSL.  See the graph here - http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-fttn/ - though in relation to fibre in Australia, it shows very clearly how quickly synch speeds fall off for VDSL and VDSL2 over comparatively very short distances.
EDIT: OldJim has kindly pointed me at some UK data, which tells the same story, but not in graphical form... http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#what-speed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

xreyuk
Grafter

Another spike in the packet loss last night, but it's been a lot better today in terms of packet loss, pings are slightly higher though.
Could this just be the line settling down?

I suppose I should just stop being impatient and wait until my 10 days are up before complaining? Cheesy
Chris - For when you get back on Monday, you said I was synced at 49.9/12, but I'm not seeing anything better than 37/11 throughput at any time of the day. I'm paying for the unlimited package, is it possible I can still be put on 40/10, or will it always be 80/20 on top package?
Terranova667
Pro

There is no 10 day training period with fibre it's the first two days that DLM will see how your line behaves and then act as it sees fit.
petecov44
Grafter

My line was fine for the 2 days and then 5 days later DLM came in and it dropped like a stone.
Logic? Nope
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: Terranova667
There is no 10 day training period with fibre it's the first two days that DLM will see how your line behaves and then act as it sees fit.

Ahh okay thanks.
Another thing to add to my other post, Chris said I was synced at 49.9/12, but on the Plusnet member centre it says 40Mbps download speed.
petecov44
Grafter

They need to change either your speed or your package their end possibly. You must be on 40/20 on their end where as you will be on 80/20 on BT's side.