Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New house, switched from BT to Plusnet - 4Mbps down to 0.8mbps

warpkid
Grafter

New house, switched from BT to Plusnet - 4Mbps down to 0.8mbps

Hey Guys,
Bit of a call for help (if anyone from plusnet reads, please advise).
Basically I have just moved into a new house where the previous owner, who was on BT, got a steady 4mbps. Not mind blowing but decent.
I've taken over his place and switched to plusnet due to being on contract with them from my old place. Today, my connection has never broken 1mbps. Current speed tests clock it at 0.8.
I've just run the BT speed tester with the following results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 890 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps
Computer is plugged into the router, which is plugged into a BT openreach box with built in filter.
So, am I right in thinking the line should be capable of more? What could be holding stuff up, and why the difference between a native BT connection and a plusnet one?
Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New house, switched from BT to Plusnet - 4Mbps down to 0.8mbps

what does this give as current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and I assume it is a wired connection to the router
warpkid
Grafter

Telephone number:
01522750XXX
Phone exchange:
SUDBROOKE PARK
Estimated line speed:
2.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3Mb) - Checked on 2011-08-09 20:25:32
Current line speed:
1 Mb
Thats the details for my old place weirdly. It hasn't updated to the details for my new place yet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and that explains the problem
You could try phoning Plusnet or wait until the morning when it will be picked up
warpkid
Grafter

Oh right. What do they use those details for? Is it that there system hasn't 'synced' the changes?
Thanks for your help btw 🙂
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Plusnet use a mirror of the IP profile to selectively traffic shape your connection so that the speed profiling works as it should.
They call that the Current Line Speed - confusing isn't it. This is restricting your speed to just under 1Mbps
warpkid
Grafter

Spoke to plusnet technical support and was told that my line was in its 10 day training period and the speed should improve.
Wasn't made to feel overly confident.
Informed them that my details were out of date and that phone number / exchange and line profile were all from my old address and was told that they would update at some point.
Hope so!
Has plusnet dropped the ability to file support tickets as well now? Cant seem to find the option to create one.
Thanks for your help
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The agent you spoke to should have created a ticket - look here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search under open or closed tickets in the last 7 days
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You can raise tickets via the member centre page by clicking Help & Support link below the header. Either go through to the relevant help area and raise a ticket in the correct department or create a general one via the ask a question link.
whelpton
Grafter

@warpkid
As others as have said in this topic I would advise raising a ticket in regards to updating our profile, seeing as how it doesn't look like it has been reset following your housemove.
I would do this myself, but I am out of office until the 9th.
The advisor you spoke to is correct, your line will be in its intial training period and we should receive an update from your exchange to advise us what your ip profile is after the 10 days are up, however we should still be able to update our profile to match your current settings. Apologies for any confusion that resulted from their remarks.
warpkid
Grafter

Thanks for your help guys.
I filed a ticket this morning. Now just got to wait for a reply Smiley

Thanks again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like the delta report increased your profile in the early hours of this morning so you should be seeing that now Smiley
warpkid
Grafter

Hi.
Yep, speed test is now showing 2.9mbps 🙂
Not sure how important it is but the details at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed are still my old details though.
Thanks,
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It doesn't affect anything and should update itself at some point (afraid I'm not sure when though). I've checked the account and everything is up to date details wise so you don't have anything to worry about.
Hope that helps.