cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre, old speed...

sticksman
Grafter

New fibre, old speed...

I switched to Fibre this morning but have yet to see any improvement over my old adsl speed. Do Plusnet have to do something to initiate a faster connection?
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New fibre, old speed...

what does current line speed say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sticksman
Grafter

It says 38.6mb, but the max I can get, even connected by ethernet cable, is 11mb.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It is just possible that since being connected, the PlusNET profile has been updated, but the PPP session has not been refreshed to pickup the new settings.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sticksman,
I've just had a quick check of your account and it looks as thought the speed profile updated and you should be seeing the higher fibre speeds. Please let us know if you're seeing anything lower and we can investigate this for you.
outrun

Hello,
Same happing to me Fibre just installed still seem to be on old speed profile
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-09-19 14:54:18
Current line speed:
11.4 Mb
Could you please have a look
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@CRT,
What are the system expectations surrounding a switch to fibre?
I guess authentication remains unchanged - as soon as BTOR fix the wires and install the modem users are on air - all that is required for their new express train to run unhindered is the PN data profile to be updated.
How does (should) this happen and what time frame expectation is set with users?  If not advised that it will take X-Y hours to see the speed change from ADSL levels to FTTC, users will be disappointed and will complain and after you guys have spent time doing your magic will believe there was a screw-up from PlusNET.
Clear end user expectation management, explaining that BTOR / BTw need to tell PlusNET what the new line speed is (and how long that takes).  PlusNET then needs to update their systems (how long) after which PPP needs to be restarted, sometimes this will happen automatically sometimes the EU will need to do it.
The majority of users have little idea how this all works, so a "what to expect" paragraph in one of the service change communications could markedly reduce user frustration and support loads, leaving you guys with more time to wave your wands else where.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ outrun - I've updated the speed for you now, it looks like your speed profile moved up to 80mbps after the upgrade however a late Delta Report from the ADSL connection came through and knocked this back down to 11mbps. You should now see the correct speeds however if you don't see anything change over the next 30 mins, you may just need to log into the router, hit disconnect, leave it for 5 mins and then reconnect again to see the speeds.
@ Kevin - Once the physical work is complete the engineer should close off the order, once this has been done we should see a KCI report come through to alert us to the completion. At this point our system would then manage the account change (if required) along with changes to speed if needed.
In some instances we can see a delay on both the order being closed as well as the generation/receipt of the KCI so we can then see a delay in the switch over of the account along with it's associated speed changes where applicable.
In outrun's case, the changes were made so the order was closed and the KCI generated however an old Delta Report from the ADSL was received after this change so the speed was dropped back down again.
With regards to the setting of expectations, the documents sent out in relation to a change to fibre should carry a note warning that it can be upto 24 hours before the new speeds are seen. This is just in case the order doesn't get closed on time, the KCI is late at either the generation or receipt side and finally just to cover any issues that could arise from the automated account change and speed alteration.
In an ideal situation we should see this whole process completed within minutes of of the order being closed down however in practice, there will always be a handful of edge cases that end up getting in touch for this to be done manually.
outrun

Thanks for the update,
I am now seeing 30M+ download but the upload speed is still as was with ADSL 300-500K
(I did have Annex M on the ADSL not sure if this would cause the upload problem)
Just to Update anyone reading this (After running Tests from Plusnet support there seems to be some loop condition on my phone line), Awaiting BT visit tomorrow

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know outrun,
Sorry to hear that you're seeing issues so soon after activation, I would hope to see this resolved for you on the engineer visit so you can obtain your expected upload speeds.