cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - speed drop

austinsom
Grafter

Re: New fibre install - speed drop

@ WWWombat - On the last engineer visit the modem was replaced, and immediately gave this higher speed, where it has stayed as far as I know (I have been away for 2 weeks).  No DLM reset was done after the modem was replaced.
I am waiting to hear from PN about the next steps, as this has now been going on too long. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@austinsom
Sorry to say there isn't really anything further we can do but I'm satisfied we've done what we can here in all honesty.
In earlier posts compensation was talked about, and I feel that it is now at the stage where I should be both compensated and offered a reduced price for the remainder of my contract period

I can't quite do that but I will update your account stating what we're able to do for you in those terms.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
austinsom
Grafter

Ok, Thanks Adam, I'll have a look at the proposal.
However, I still have a problem with the service - it seemed a bit sluggish this morning, and a speedtest did not make for very satisfied viewing.
I'm not sure I agree re a DLM reset - the last modem seemed to default to the same speed very shortly after a reset, and it then appeared to have a power fault where the slightest touch could cause a re-boot.  Once it was replaced no reset was done, so if there was an issue with the modem re-syncing more than the DLM would allow, this could also be causing a problem.  As the ticket has now been closed, I can't add this there and I really don't feel like going through opening another ticket.  If someone could have a look at this, I would appreciate it.
I would also appreciate some sort of explanation of how and why my line has suddenly lost 20mbps of download, after seeing over 70mbps for the first week (with no drops). I'm not buying that it was unstable, as I'm sure I would have noticed and the speed would have begun to drop incrementally, not in once chunk as it did.  It seems I am not the only one who has experienced this and is dissatisfied with how it is being investigated.
austinsom
Grafter

I am disappointed that this is now being ignored.  There is clearly an issue here, and I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation with regard to the mysterious loss of about 25% of the total speed I had.  I see PlusNet are signed up to the OFCOM Code of Practise (2010), yet no-one has once made me aware of my rights to cancel.  Interesting...
I would appreciate a full explanation of what has happened re: the lost speed, I can't accept that the DLM just decided to rub 25% off the speed without incremental drops first, and why no reset was performed when new equipment was provided.
I will open a ticket if required, but I would like an answer to this question so that other forum users, and those signing up for fibre with PlusNet, can see what might well happen to them as a result of someone's incompetence when it came to estimating speeds, which I shall point out YET AGAIN, that I had for one week, with no issues whatsoever.  Something doesn't add up here.
Again, my speeds are still poor, relatively speaking, and I would like this looked into.
Please respond.
austinsom
Grafter

Still waiting...  Angry
austinsom
Grafter

And into the weekend with no answers.  I would really appreciate it if a member of the PlusNet staff could let me know answers to my qustions on Monday please, as my patience is starting to run out - I have been waiting a long time already (mid March).
I am still suffering with speed issues, and due to the closure of my ticket, I can't update that.  Speeds ,ay be acceptable for ADSL, but not for fibre.  This needs to be sorted ASAP.

Graph not looking great either.  Why is my latency so high - interleaving?  If so this needs switching off.  DLM needs resetting too.

I am also going to open a new ticket and cross reference with the old ticket and this thread.  Hopefully that will get someones attention.  Cry
New Ticket reference is: 84157270
BT speedtest looks really bad - this really is very poor.  May as well go back to my previous LLU provider, where I had virtually guaranteed 18/19mbps day or night, with no variance, at less cost and no contract!
MwEmpire
Grafter

My story with Plusnet has been very similar to yours, I have been enjoying a speed over estimate of mid 70's, then after a series of dropouts dropped to 50 something. Had in total now three OR  Engineers out, who do a line check showing no faults and sinc speeds of 76/19 to the socket.

After a re sync from them and conversations of the " there should be a charge for this" nature which never happens, usually because I explain the fact that Plusnet had booked them order is restored.
But short lived, a few days later and the dropouts start and half days of service occur the speed drops again and pings go from 0/6 to 22/28, I have read through your posts and all of my frustrations are very similar to yours, why should be be content with fluctuating speeds after being spoilt by higher speeds.
I have been in the motor trade for 20 plus years, if I sold a car that happily cruised at 80mph then suddenly it can not reach 50mph my service dept would not get away with saying there is nothing wrong and although the speed has dropped, it is still acceptable !!
It seems a blame game between Plusnet and Open Reach someone must be wrong, it is so frustrating when the engineer says its stable at 76 Mp/s and a week later down it goes, I agree with austinsom, if I had a stable 60/65 throughout with my connection things would be different rather than the erratic flat out for a bit then half speed and so on. 
I think we just need more stability and a lot less Open Reach engineers boring us to tears, with tales of providers fobbing people off with "Leaves On The Track" excuses...
austinsom
Grafter

It appears to be either a lack of capacity somewhere along the line, or BTO have deliberately misrepresented what the service can deliver.  It is more likely to be a combination of the two, as once the issue was raised and the engineers had spent several hours crawling over the issues here, the speed estimates were dropped to try and reflect what I am now receiving.  So the estimates can be fairly accurate, but they aren't too start with.  I wonder why.
As to speed on fibre - I can send messages to family faster using postcards at the moment - so once again, the Victorians have better solutions than the modernists.  Extremely frustrating, and the lack of any sort of response, acknowledgement or action from PN is only making matters worse.
This morning the speeds are a disaster, can't stream, browse or anything very well.  6 years ago these speeds were fine, the net has since moved on and it is really frustrating.
RESPOND PLEASE PLUSNET!  YES I AM SHOUTING!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You need to run the TAP3 test by clicking "Continue" on the BTW speed test page and following the instructions.
austinsom
Grafter

@ Jaggies - Thanks for this.  However, as I have a BTOR fibre modem, I can't run any tests as it is locked down unless I hack it, which I am not even attempting until this utter shambles is resolved  Wink
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

At Jaggies TAP3 test does not work hasn't for some time only tap 1 and 2 there is a thread about it, even BTW is aware but as yet have done nothing to fix it I wonder why.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

@ austinsom - Nothing to do with your modem. The TAP 3 test is triggered when you get the red line on the "Further diagnostics" page from the BTw speed test. If you click on "Continue" at the bottom right of the page, and follow the instructions, you should be able to complete it.
@ Terranova667 - there is no such thing as a TAP2 test. It's true that the TAP3 test does not always work for everyone.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@ jaggies
TAP2 - Speedtest using the ISP domain. To access this test the user must change the login on their router to bt_test_user@isp.net
TAP3 - Speedtest which completely bypasses the ISP network. To access this test the user must change their login on their router to speedtest@speedtest_domain
taken from both Kitz and BTW unless they are both wrong
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

OK, I may be wrong...  Embarrassed
The TAP2 test you mention is not prompted following a "red line" standard test when logged in with your own details, just the TAP3 test which requires you to log in with speedtest@speedtest_domain as your username. I suspect the TAP2 test is now deprecated following the changes to the BTw speedtest site last year, and certainly KBD testing only shows the TAP1 and TAP3 test results.
austinsom
Grafter

Well, this is now beyond a joke.  Latest speed test is sub 5 meg.  Still no sign of any sort of response to either my current (NEW) ticket, or on here from the PN staff.  Problems don't go away if they're ignored, they get worse.  Angry
Will see if I can do the TAP3 test, but wont hold my breath.
I would like some sort of communication from PlusNet today please.