cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - speed drop

austinsom
Grafter

New fibre install - speed drop

I'm going to make this a quick post seeing as I already have a ticket open.
The ticket number for this is 81835663, and despite it saying that it may take 'upto 24 hours' to get any response, it has now been longer and I have yet to hear anything at all.
The issues started yesterday morning.  The line dropped for about 20 mins (no issue with 'phone), and after it came back up, my profile had gone from 77.4 down to 53.  Now I do appreciated that this is a lot faster than most people have, and is actually enough for me, but it seems to suggest a line fault (which I have been going on about for at least a year).
As this speed is now below the fault threshold, I would like someone to look at this as a matter of some urgency, as I have had issues with speed yo-yoing when on ADSL2+, and despite trying to have someone look at the line, no-one wanted to do anything.  Given such a significant speed drop, and if it can't be restored, seems to suggest a fault somewhere.
I would appreciate a prompt update, as whilst this is quick enough for now, from my past experiences, once the rot sets in, things seem to get worse.
98 REPLIES 98
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: New fibre install - speed drop

Hi,
Thanks for the post on this. I'm just taking a look through everything for you. I'll report back once I've got a little more information for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've detected the fault on your line. I've updated Ticket: 81835663 to this effect. An engineer will go and investigate and resolve within 24-48 hours.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks Chris  Smiley
I shall wait and see what the engineer can do, and see how things are over the weekend before reporting back.
austinsom
Grafter

Thought now that the weekend is out of the way I would provide an update.
My speeds have not recovered at all, and still sit where they were at the beginning of last week.  An engineer has apparently been to the cabinet and either found a fault or not (depending on whether the response to the ticket or my voicemail is accurate).  I have provided some dates for when I can have an engineer attend my property the early part of this week, as I would like this resolved as quickly as possible as I don't want the issue to drag on.
I also had some issues over the weekend when watching iPlayer, or films on Amazon/Lovefilm (whatever they're called now!).  I watched Top Gear on iPlayer and that buffered perhaps half a dozen times, and the film I watched, which was only 30 minutes, the fibre broadband didn't seem to be able to cope and required buffering 3 times.  I would imagine even with 50mbps down, buffering should not be an issue.  This points to a definite issue and I would appreciate some assistance here to get this stepped on ASAP.  
I still suspect a line issue, but if I'm wrong I'll eat the packet of chocolate biscuits I just bought...
Thank you  Smiley
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi austinsom,
Thank you for the update and I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing issues with your connection.
I have had a look into this and can see that my colleague has replied to Ticket: 81835663 for you and booked the engineer for you. Hope this is resolved for you during the engineers visit!
austinsom
Grafter

After a lengthy engineer visit it seems my issues have been resolved.
The major part of the problem was a fault with my line (I'm sure that's what I said!) where the connections of the pole had corroded so badly that, through the engineers kit you could hear loud popping and crackling (I use a cordless DECT 'phone, so I didn't hear it).  This also returned lots of amber and reds on his handheld terminal.  After this was replaced on the pole the noise cleared.  A reset was requested on the FTTC service, which... made no difference.  Odd.  We both chatted about how strange that was given that I can see the cabinet if I walk about 15 paces from my front door.  The engineer decided to investigate at the cabinet.  After testing speed at the cab (full speed available, so no fault) I was swapped to a different pair, and the speed tested again.
Success, this time I was back to the speed I had just after the install.  The engineer did a great job, and kept trying different things even after the apparent line fault was fixed, to restore the speed.  The only downside is that whilst BT see my profile as somewhere around 76mbps, the PlusNet side is blocked at 52 the moment.  Could someone reset this please?
This makes me feel somewhat vindicated that all the times I spoke to Plusnet about speed issues on ADSL2+ there was actually a line issue (indicated by a wildly erratic SNR fluctuation, and lots of errors), but no-one wanted to take my word for it.  I guess it's fixed now, so that's all that matters  Smiley
If someone could let me know when my profile has been corrected, that would be appreciated.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi austinsom,
Glad to hear the engineers visit went well! I've corrected your connection profile on your account so you should start to see an increase in speeds shortly. Log-in to your router and press the disconnect button and then press the connect button and that should do the job!
Thanks for letting us know that it all went well! Smiley
austinsom
Grafter

Well it appears I spoke too soon.  I have the same problem back again, massive loss of speed (relatively) from the estimate I was given when I signed up of 78mbps, to an actual speedtest result of 57.84.  The BT speedtester says this is not an acceptable speed for me, so I will be ringing to raise a ticket, but as this is the second time in a week, I would like someone to pick this up and follow the progress, as there is clearly something very wrong here.  
I have had results as low as 40mbps (I am led to belive these are logged, so PN staff should have access to them).  I just want to get to the bottom of this issue ASAP, as when the engineer was last here, testing at my modem, he was getting 76mbps.  So in two days I have lost 1/3 of that speed. Upstream is Impacted as well, down to 11mbps, was a smudge under 19mbps when installed, and download speeds were 73-74mbps for about a week following the install.  Since then, I've had this.

Test result:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
57.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 59.69 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 57.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  60 Mbps-59.69 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 59.69 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
11.63 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.63Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
Before anyone asks, this was tested over a wired connection, no extensions leads etc.  So something is definitely broken somewhere.
To top matters off, the fault was closed without any further word  Roll_eyes
3 weeks with fibre, 2 weeks with problems - do I get a refund?
45 minutes later, still on HOLD  Angry
After an hour and 10 minutes (most of which time I was on hold, still on the plus side I revisted some 90's music  Cool ), the old ticket has been re-opened and passed back to the 'faults pool' let's hope it doesn't drown in there...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Austinsom,
Sorry that's still an issue for you.
I'm logging a new fault with BT and don't mind taking ownership of your fault, I can see it would be helpful for one of us to do that at this stage.
Can you run a new set of tests on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ASAP please?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
austinsom
Grafter

Hello Adam,
Thank you for picking this up  Smiley
Whilst I don't want to be seen to complain about the speeds I am getting, which are reasonable enough, in my experience once the speed starts to fall it just keeps going on down.  I therefore want to get this sorted out ASAP.  I signed up based on the 78mbps estimate, so t be getting a full third less than that, I must admit I feel somewhat cheated (I'm sure PlusNet wouldn't be impressed if I decided to pay a third less on my bill  Wink ).  I know the line is good for virtually that speed, as I had that for a week following the install, until it suddenly dropped.
I have run a new sppedtest as requested, and things are still the same.  For a comparison I did a speedtest on speedtest.net, and the speed is very choppy, there is no constant speed, it yo-yos a lot.
I have also had issues using my tablet and 'phone over wireless when a film is being streamed.  Both slow to a crawl.  I had no issues with this on the old ADSL2+ service.
I realise I may be stuck with this issue over the weekend now, so in the event an engineer is required, anytime Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Thank you.
austinsom
Grafter

Tested this morning and all I can say is oh dear...
I will be asking for some sort of refund based on this performance.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you done the "Further tests" mentioned (TAP3)?
austinsom
Grafter

@ Jaggies - I have not run any further tests.  I don't want to start altering my log on details, and to be honest, I am paying for a service and don't see why I should need to start messing about with deeper testing.  I am quite happy to run the speedtests, but that is as far as it goes.
Having run another test this afternoon, speeds are a little up, but it is obvious there has been another resync and the IP profile has gone down another 2mbps.  If it carries on at this rate, I'll be back to sending letter in about two weeks.  Very poor I'm afraid.
austinsom
Grafter

No change since last week.  Upstream is 10mbps slower than it should be, and downstream, well somehow it is missing 23mbps!
If this hasn't been rectified by Wednesday, I will be requesting a refund, as this problem has been ongoing for 2 weeks without a resolution.