cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install, need to switch off electric over weekend.

ashfibre

New fibre install, need to switch off electric over weekend.

As the subject says, need to turn off the electric for a few hours over the weekend, what is the best way of powering everything down so it doesnt cause any speed drops?
2 REPLIES 2
darklight
Grafter

Re: New fibre install, need to switch off electric over weekend.

Well for a example i had a power cut just for 10mins some weeks back, when the power cut i ran for the switch to turn off the modem before it kicked back in again because of the DLM may have drop my speed, anyway 10mins later the power came back on, but i left the modem off for 1 hrs just to be on the safe side, and all was well when i powered back up, no speed drop at all.
But the safe way to power down is login to router drop session then power down router and then power down modem.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New fibre install, need to switch off electric over weekend.

Can guarantee any speed drops, can't guarantee anything really. However the best method is to log in to the Router, go to the Internet Box and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP Internet session to Plusnet. Wait about a minute and then power down the Router. Wait about another minute and power down the Modem.
The fact that you will be off for more than an hour should ensure no real issues. When you are ready and there won't be further power interruption, power up the Modem. Wait until sync is established and all the lights on the Modem stabilise, then power up the Router. When the Router has booted, log in to it and go to the Internet box and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
If you want to check your Profile, run  the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).