cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - downstream speed dropped by half after 3 weeks

Tricko

New fibre install - downstream speed dropped by half after 3 weeks

Hi,
I’ve had Plusnet unlimited fibre for about 3 weeks now after moving from Sky’s ADSL where I was getting pretty much 20MB sync all the time as I’m only around 250 yards from the street cabinet.
The initial estimate from Plusnet was 63mbps when I signed up, and over the first few days I was getting around the 70-74mbps in speed tests - the engineer said it was synced at the full 80mbps when he was at the cabinet, and all was great.
Now I’m out of the 10 day training, I'm seeing a much slower sync in general - (all of these are with an ethernet connection direct to the router BTW)
Plusnet stats -
Estimated line speed:63Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-03-29 19:37:08
Current line speed:42.4 Mb 
BT wholesale test results are showing this -
Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 27.1 Mbps-33.88 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 33.88 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.92Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The other BT Wholesale speed test page is showing this -
Down 32.79
Up 16.02
Ping 27.00
Speedtest.net is showing this -

So the upload speed is showing much closer to the max for a 80/20 connection and hasn't really dropped too much from the first couple of days, but the download speed is about half the estimated speed and what I did get at the start.
I've tested by connecting directly to the BT modem and bypassing the route (I'm using an Apple Airport Time Capsule rather than the Plusnet one) and there's no difference. The phoneline is fine and sounds clean, can't hear any interference or clicks etc.
I know I shouldn't complain to much when I'm getting a solid 30mbps, but no matter what provider for ADSL I've had in the past I've always had close to the max as I'm so close to the cabinet and exchange, and the first few days really did spoil me with that 70mpbs  and 15ms pings Smiley
Is there anything that can be done to try and get me back up to the 60-70s?
Cheers.
6 REPLIES 6
buseng12
Grafter

Re: New fibre install - downstream speed dropped by half after 3 weeks

Join the club! Pretty much the same for me. BT stupid Openreach keep cutting profiles for absolutely no reason at all despite initial connection speeds even if your house is sitting on top of the cabinet. Mental DLM which should be outlawed.
Mine dropped from 73 to 52 a few weeks ago in one hit, then back up to 58 for a few weeks & now dropped again to 51 this weekend for no reason.
As I have said many times before, P/N & BTOR should be taken to court for misselling & false advertising.
I am even closer to the cabinet than you, 150 metres/164 yards.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I would use the fault finder & raise a ticket. Good luck.
Tricko

To follow up on this, yesterday I had the BT engineer turn up after going through the fault reporting and Plusnet confirming there was a problem.
The problem it turns out is that for some reason a soft cap was placed on my line limiting the connection. After the BT engineer phoned to double check given there didn't seem to be anything wrong during tests apart from the low sync speed, once the cap was removed and tested and was back to what it should be on the test equipment showing a sync speed up in the 70s, so happy days I would have through.
Not so happy days however is that my actual download speeds are still stuck at the exactly the same previously low level 😞
The BT IP profile test page currently showing me with a 77.31 Mbps IP profile, but actual downstream transfer is still only 29 Mbps, and the same thing is shown using speedtest.net and others.
So from the BT point of view and my IP profile, it looks good, so clearly theres still some kind of cap in place on the Plusnet side, I'm waiting for someone to respond to the support ticket, but I'm not going to hold my breath given the level of other problems people are reporting in the forums.
I have a horrible feeling I'm having a real case of "you get what you pay for" and that the Plusnet prices really are too good to be true and the moving to them is going to turn out to be a bad move 😞
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

What does your plusnet profile say in your members centre you can find it under connection settings then high speed broadband . the profile should be pretty much the same as the BT IP one if not, then somone on the  plusnet DCT  can change it .    
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

You may find that PN have put you on the lower rate in error. One of their staff members should pick this up tomorrow. If not then put a note on your ticket.
Tricko

Happy days again, I'm back to a decent speed!
I tried a few more times this morning and the Plusnet profile was still showing 31 Mb and the speed tests matched that. I've just given it one final check tonight now and the Plusnet profile and BT profile are both pretty much in line showing around 68 Mb, and speed tests are matching that.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the soft caps or limits don't get applied again, but at least that does seem to have been the problem so now know what to ask support to check if it happens again!
Cheers.