Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - diary/problems/etc

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New fibre install - diary/problems/etc

Evening all, had my fibre installed today.
Firstly, they didn't call before they arrived to do the install.  Only called me when actually at the door and I didn't hear them as I was in the back garden.
No sign of or mention of the data extension kit that I thought I asked PN for, but never mind.
They took out my old master socket, fitted a new backbox (but used my old screws and the box is a bit loose) with the new front plate.  They also left a bit of old wire sticking out, that used to go from the socket to a extension bell that was removed year ago, I can cut it off, but would be have been much easier while there was no box in the way.
I did a quiet line test before they left to check the line worked, having spoken to someone else this week who had fibre installed and ended up with no working phone line.
"Engineer" seemed a little put out when he couldn't see the routers wireless network, especially when I said he wouldn't find it as I had hidden the SSID.  Had to turn it back on and remove the wireless key.  He tested the speed and said I was getting 20Mb.  To which I said thats a bit carp as the estimate was over 55Mb, then the engineer and his trainee started saying something about Mb and Mbps..... and that someone earlier in the week had got really good speeds, even though the figure the engineer got was lower... hmm.
Now I am not seeing what I would consider to be decent speeds from any of the speedtest sites I have tried (speedtest.net, speedtester.bt.com which usually fails, speedtest.btwholesale.com and thinkbroadband).  Those a tests from a wired connection, using 200Mb TP-Link homeplug adapters, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Generally results I am getting are around 20Mb or so, sometimes lower and sometimes with upload being higher than download.
PN profile for line is currently 78Mb and IP profile from BT wholesale test is 77.44
Any thoughts?
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
30 REPLIES 30
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New fibre install - diary/problems/etc

The 'data extension kit' is not a kit as such but if it has been requested the engineer should have been able to relocate the socket that the modem connects to.
The engineer should not have used your old screws, the FTTC master (with the 'intermediate plate') requires longer screws than a standard NTE5 (unless you previously had one of the old BT i-plates).  Leaving bits of old wire sticking out is just 'sloppy'.
The engineer should have tested the line with his own tester (which has a modem), he should not be testing your wireless (unless things have changed significantly since my install a year ago).
The BT speedtest IP profile of 77.44 suggests that you're syncing at the full 80Mbps so you should be getting much better than 20 or so on speedtests, could you eliminate the homeplugs by connecting by ethernet to the router (even if you need to temorarily relocate a computer to do so)?  Did you disconnect (via the user interface) the router and reconnect prior to running a speedtest?  This makes sure that the profile shown is up to date (don't restart the modem though).  You could even connect a computer direct to the modem and set up PPPoE on the computer - this eliminates problems with the router (there are instructions somewhere for this but please ask if you can't find them - someone will help).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vultura
Rising Star

Its a very old install I have, predates the NTE5 era.  Just checked, it was an LJ2/1A.
The screws were for the backbox, not the front plate - sorry should have been clearer on that.
No tester, was a tablet of some kind he used.
Yes, have wired straight into router with my netbook, made no difference.  Have tried both wireless G (netbook) and wireless n-lite on desktop, they give similar figures.
Shall try disconnecting now, see if that makes any change.
Edit:  Just ran 1 test from speedtester.bt.com, which gave a figure of 5Mb and at the top said I should contact my ISP.  Unable to run anymore for a while now.
Two tests from btwholesale tester, one gave a figure of 0.03Mb and then next closer to 30Mb.
vultura
Rising Star

Update: 
Have disconnected router and setup a pppoe connection on netbook, same speed.
Have replaced dsl cable with my shielded version, same speed.
Have restarted OR modem, same speed.
If it makes a difference the modem is an ECI.
w23
Pro

No experence of the less common ECI modem but it shouldn't make any difference.
Did you note the IP profile from the later BT speedtests?  Was it still 77.44?
Probably also worth checking your exchange status here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ (you never know).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

There's something odd in that speedtest image:  The download chart shows a range of 0Mb/s to 0Mb/s although the figurge above is 28Mb/s, and in the notes below it saly that the acceptable range is 12Mb/s to 0Mb/s  Huh  Seems to me like something is messed up in the profile sufficiently badly to thoroughly confuse the speedtester.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
ECI modem but it shouldn't make any difference.
IP profile from the later BT speedtests?  Was it still 77.44?
Probably also worth checking your exchange status here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/.

Sorry, I didn't make note of profile was just looking at the speeds.  Right now I cannot even get the BT speedtest to finish a test, might be just my connection though.
Exchange status is green, so should be ok.  Had been getting close to 6Mb on ADSL recently.
Quote from: mcintoshuk
There's something odd in that speedtest image:  The download chart shows a range of 0Mb/s to 0Mb/s although the figure above is 28Mb/s, and in the notes below it says that the acceptable range is 12Mb/s to 0Mb/s  Huh  .

I did wonder about that range myself.

w23
Pro

Quote from: mcintoshuk
There's something odd in that speedtest image:  The download chart shows a range of 0Mb/s to 0Mb/s although the figurge above is 28Mb/s, and in the notes below it saly that the acceptable range is 12Mb/s to 0Mb/s  Huh  Seems to me like something is messed up in the profile sufficiently badly to thoroughly confuse the speedtester.

My speedtester results also show a 'maximum achievable speed of 0Mbps' - I noticed the same thing so I checked - but mine has no speed issues (other than being too far from the cabinet to get the maximum 80Mbps.
Call me 'w23'
vultura
Rising Star

I have factory reset the router and allowed the PN autosetup to configure it,  no change.
Have reset the OR modem, no change.
I have tested the actual download speed, using internet download manager (http and ftp) and I get approx 600K per second, which I what I used to get on ADSL.
Have attached a bt speedtest result from approx 2pm today, profile is still 77.44.

w23
Pro

The good news (with an IP profile still at 77.44) you seem to have a solid 80Mbps sync.
What's causing the slow throughput is a mystery and may well need a member of the Plusnet staff to do some checks (particularly for mis-matched profiles somewhere along the line).
Might be worth calling to raise a speed fault, though you may be told to give it longer as they'll likely say it's still in its 'training period'.
If it's still like this Monday I'd certainly try to get a member of staff to look at it.
Call me 'w23'
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Either phone PN faults directly or file a fault via the website. Either way they'll soon sort your the problem. They were very helpful when I recently upgraded to fibre & had router problems.
pieplanter
Grafter

Yup, your experience seems similar to mine.  I had fibre installed yesterday;
My appointment slot was 8am to 1pm.  There was no advance call from BTOR.  When they did call though, it was at 9.30am and they asked me if the phone line was up.  It wasn't, it was dead.  It finally got activated at 3.30pm.  I didn't know until then, whether I was keeping my old number or getting a new one.
I wasn't sure the BTOR guy really knew what the score was.  Plusnet predicted a download speed of 33Mb and  an upload speed of 5Mb.  BTOR said our maximum line speed was 18Mb up and 1Mb down.  At one stage, the bod was going to report a line fault.  Then, he said, because the line speed was 50% of predicted, he had authority (with my consent) to make the connection! Online speed tests, at the moment, are around 24Mb.
Not a convincing start
vultura
Rising Star

Have just spoken to PN support, within a minute or two a case for a fault had been opened.  No messing about or silly questions, which is a plus and I say thanks to Adam H.  
Adam checked for disconnections, of which there were some but I confirmed they were at times when I was troubleshooting.  So the connection looks stable enough.
Ticket number is #61558674
Quote from: pieplanter
Yup, your experience seems similar to mine.  I had fibre installed yesterday;
My appointment slot was 8am to 1pm.  There was no advance call from BTOR.  When they did call though, it was at 9.30am and they asked me if the phone line was up.  It wasn't, it was dead.  It finally got activated at 3.30pm.
I wasn't sure the BTOR guy really knew what the score was.  Plusnet predicted a download speed of 33Mb and  an upload speed of 5Mb.  BTOR said our maximum line speed was 18Mb up and 1Mb down.  At one stage, the bod was going to report a line fault.  Then, he said, because the line speed was 50% of predicted, he had authority (with my consent) to make the connection! Online speed tests, at the moment, are around 24Mb.

Hmm, not good really and not how it should be according to PN literature supplied with router and what is said on the website.  
Two questions:  Was it actually a BT OR engineer or a different company?  Which modem did they supply?
Attached a further test from around 3pm today and a further one from 5.50pm
pieplanter
Grafter

Quote from: vultura
Hmm, not good really and not how it should be according to PN literature supplied with router and what is said on the website.  
Two questions:  Was it actually a BT OR engineer or a different company?  Which modem did they supply?

No, it didn't go as expected {as PN said}.  That's why I thought I'd post.
Yep, it was a BT OR engineer or, at least, the chap was driving a BT OR van.
The modem is an EchoLife HG612.  To be fair the BT OR made a neat job of pinning it to the wall.  
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: pieplanter
Yep, it was a BT OR engineer or, at least, the chap was driving a BT OR van.
The modem is an EchoLife HG612.  

Thanks for sharing your experience pieplanter.  I didn't even see what van the to guys who installed mine were driving, but they weren't wearing anything with a BT logo on.  There was a company name written on the back of the hi-vis they were wearing, but I didn't make a mental note of it.
Today I have moved the power adaptor for the OR modem, unplugged all phones, added ferrites to power cables for TG582n router and OR modem.  Nothings changed.
Right now the BT speedtest is failing to run, though it did work a little after 10.20am, see attached (that was before I altered the above).