cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre broadband installed 16/09/14, speed issues

skybondy
Grafter

New fibre broadband installed 16/09/14, speed issues

Hi there, had my fibre installed yesterday but its grinding to a halt, could you check my profile as its nowhere near the 30mb estimate. It seemed fine to start with 17mb down 9up but now the down is nearly non existent and the up is much the same. If someone could just check my line profile and see if it's set for fibre correctly that'd be great, many thanks
16 REPLIES 16
AndyH
Grafter

Re: New fibre broadband installed 16/09/14, speed issues

If you run the BT Speed Test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and click on Further Diagnostics, it will give you your current line profile.
skybondy
Grafter

Looks like its back to normal, 17mb down 9 up... Although i did think I was going to get about 30mb down??? according to initial estimates, will see how it goes.
AndyH
Grafter

What does it say for your estimates here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
skybondy
Grafter

I suspect I may have an idea of what's going on here,  I requested on my move of house not to keep my number, of which I had Plusnet ADSL2 service,  now im thinking they kept my number and may well have kept the same line profile for ADSL 2. 
Just a theory! I will check my land line rings when I get home from work,  but the BT checker didn't work because it said my number was invalid,... So I have just figured this may be what's going on...like I said just a theory.
skybondy
Grafter

As I suspected my number has been moved over to the new house,  will try and see how that gets sorted tomorrow?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi skybondy,
It looks as though you're still currently on the old ADSL2+ account type until the house move order completes fully which is why you're seeing the 17mbps down and 9mbps up (due to their being no cap on the upstream for ADSL2+) so you'll see the speeds increase as the changes take effect.
Please let us know how you get on once the orders for the house move fully complete.
skybondy
Grafter

Can someone at Plusnet please book and engineer for me, I specifically requested the telephone number at my old apartment stay where it is, yet it has been moved to my new address! This is also impacting my internet as it appears I'm on my old ADSL 2 line profile aswell.
I phoned the open reach engineers number to request help, but of course they won't fix it unless you book them.
Cheers
EDIT:
Thanks Adam, it appears I may have spoken to soon lol, does this mean that the telephone numbers will be reinstated to the correct addresses too, as I really don't want to upset landlords with losing their phone numbers, cheers
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again skybondy,
From the ticket on your account it appears that your line is due to be renumbered once it is activated so you'll get a different number however it may not help with the previous landlord if they wanted to keep the number which I fear is a little to late to reverse at this stage. Has this been something you discussed with the landlord and a request they they made?
skybondy
Grafter

Hi Adam, no its just when I booked the house move I did ask that the numbers werent moved over at all. As its not my apartment, that was the number when I moved in and that's how it should have stayed when I moved out.
But when I tried ringing the house phone number I'm in now it didn't work, so I then rang my old apartment number, and what would you know the phone in my new house starts ringing! I don't want the old flat number, it stays with the flat, and my new landlords at my new house have seemingly now lost their phone number... Why oh why oh why. Puts me in a very difficult position to explain to both that neither have there phone numbers any more!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again skybondy,
I can see that this was placed as a transfer of the number with a re-number being placed after the move so apologies for this. One thing to note though would be that part of the move would still have required a cease of the phone service at the old address which would have dropped the number anyway so unless the landlord was due to the keep the service up and running it would probably have lost the number anyway.
Was there a discussion surrounding them keeping the line up and running?
skybondy
Grafter

Nothing was arranged, i just don't want to upset them, don't worry about it seeing how it would have been ceased anyway, that's fine. So just need to concentrate on the renumbering for the new house , as long as that goes through properly then that'll do, as that should be the original HOUSE  number I requested to stay at that property for when I moved in.
I wasn't aware it took a long time to sort telephone numbers out, I thought that was done almost instantly, any idea when my 'new' house number will be put in place? And when I say 'new' I mean the original one at the house before i moved in lol as this was the one my initial speed estimates for fibre were done against, cheers
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi skybondy,
If there wasn't anything arranged you shouldn't have any need to worry about the transfer of the number as they would have seen that vanish on the cease so this all sounds OK.
On the re-number front, this is due to be placed once all the order are closed down so it will most probably complete within a few days of the house move completing. As for the previous number the line had, this may well have been moved away with the previous owner of the line so it may mean that we can retrieve the exact same number however this wouldn't affect the speed you're due to see as this will still use the same copper line regardless of the number.
skybondy
Grafter

Thanks Adam, mind is now at ease lol, will let you know when it all completes and I start seeing my fibre download speeds, please keep an eye out for my thread lol, I know your busy trying to help everyone. Your help is much appreciated, cheers
skybondy
Grafter

Hi Adam, just to let you know I am still stuck on my ADSL 2 line profile. if you could get it reset so i can enjoy these fibre speeds i'm meant to get that'd be great, cheers.