Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New failed billing procedure

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

New failed billing procedure

One thing surprises me about the statement is this
One of the most prominent issues to emerge from our new process is that around 25% of missed payments are due to expired Credit Card payment details.
Why is the credit card expiring a problem. I thought that with a continuous authority it didn't matter if the card expired or indeed was cancelled the charge could still be made. You only need to read the ISP Unhappiness forum at tbb to see many complaints about suppliers continuing to charge to cards and the point being made that the card expiring or being cancelled won't stop it.
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: New failed billing procedure

It depends on whether or not the card itself offers continuous authority.  I think that this is just for VISA and Mastercard, er, cards.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Pardon my ignorance but I thought that the only credit cards which don't use Mastercard or Visa were Diners and Amex.
James
Grafter

Switch, Solo, Maestro, Electron?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I thought they were all debit cards as the money is immediately taken from the bank account
If PlusNet are loosely classifying them as credit cards that would explain the statistics.
James
Grafter

Bah, my bad.  I was referring to credit or debit cards.  But I do understand how the wording could cause confusion.
Liam
Grafter

I've just asked one of our Finance Bods about this.
I'm told that the main benefit of continuous authority is that we can continue to take payment without requiring seperate authorisation for each individual transaction.
Apparently, some card issuers will allow us to submit cards with an expiry date in the past but most don't.  So, therefore it can (and does) cause problems for us - and the customers affected.