cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer with very low speeds

dougflo

New customer with very low speeds

Hope you can help.
I logged a ticket and ran all the tests requested. I was told that support would need to run tests that would take up to 24 hours. I am now into my second 24 hours and heard nothing with no update. It is like being in the dark.
I am getting 0.2Mb download if i am lucky and having to resort to using my broadband dongle to access the internet as everything is just too slow.
How do I chase the call, as the support ticket says not to add extra information.
10 REPLIES 10
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New customer with very low speeds

Hi there,
I'm afraid the best course of action is to leave things as they are - if you comment on the ticket it might move it to the back of the queue (we're looking into this) and it'd be unfair to prioritise one user's fault over another. You should get an update by close of play tomorrow.
dougflo

Thanks for the update.
dougflo

I have now been informed that I am in my first 10 days of speed training / testing. The reply from support would indicate that my speeds should be fluctuating. If only this were the case. My speeds are consistently low. Once the 10 days are up, is my speed going to magically jump up to expeted speeds.
My latest speedtester report states:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
165 Kbps

0 Kbps 4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 165 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2664 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2350 Kbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
178 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 178 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps
And the broadbandd speedtester history file is attached.
I am frustrated that I have to wait 10 days before anybody will look at this.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dougflo,
Although we're not able to raise a fault on it in the first 10 days, we can still help you out here the best we can. Have a look here firstly for some tips. The most important check being the test socket
Jojo Smiley
dougflo

None of my sockets appear to have a test socket
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Dougflo
the PN staff quiet often visit the forum extra to the line of duty but you shouldnt expect an answer here till normal business hours on Monday but the helpline will be working 24/7  Smiley
But from my slight knowledge and personal experience, I have the same, my phone system was installed on the 1980's. All my sockets are the same and no test socket. Also I had two extra wires for the old ringing circuit which modern phones don't use. These I disconnected leaving only two wires per socket and my speed shot up almost instantly  Cheesy
Also I identified the socket where the line comes into the house and use that as my master socket and have connected my router there.  Smiley
I have been told that if i have an engineers visit anytime they would fit me a new test socket but I always get the warning that if the fault was on my equipment in the house I would possibly receive a bill Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pierre_pierre
Grafter

mine is the same, very old and the main bit is this
an engineer did come about 20 years ago and fit two sockets one in the hall, and one in the bedroom, but we still have this feeding the above.
not much wrong with ny line it synchs at 14000 so what do I call them out for?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Also I had two extra wires for the old ringing circuit which modern phones don't use. These I disconnected leaving only two wires per socket and my speed shot up almost instantly  Cheesy

I wonder how many calls BT get with reported faults that the phone does not ring? There are still a lot of phones that still require these wires to be connected. The reason the wires can be disconnected when broadband is on the line is the fact that the filters have the ringing circuit.
If these wire are not needed it would have saved BT money in the designing of the iplate as the main function is to filter the ringing circuit.
dougflo

Well my first 10 days of having PlusNet and practically no service are up and I have been told they will now raise a fault with their suppliers. I assume BT!?
It now says I may have to wait for up to 72 hours for tests to be completed. Half a month with no service, but Plus.net with my money. Not sure this seems right.
Support have asked me to try another router, which I do not have. Am I supposed to have several spare routers lying about? Why would PN not have sent out another router if this could be the problem?
Fed up.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dougflo,
I've one of our faults guys checking for an update for you now.
Jojo Smiley