Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer with speed issue

rackstraw2006
Grafter

New customer with speed issue

Hi
I was on BT adsl for years and got a nice steady and stable download speed of around 6500 kbps. Decided to migrate to plus.net and my speed fluctuates constantly.
When on BT before my change over, my stats were 6911 kbps down, 421 kbps up, 42 ms ping. Most if not all my speed tests when on BT were around the 6000 kbps mark.
However no matter when I check my speed now it could be as low as 500 kbpsor as high as 6200 kbps.
Current Line Stats:
Bandwidth (Down/Up): 8,128 kbps / 448 kbps
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 13.4 dB / 27.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 14.2 dB / 8.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.0 dBm
No errors
I only migrated over on friday so still within the 10 day period for the line to stabilizer, but will this stabilizer to about the same as what I had before?
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New customer with speed issue

Hi there, looks like it should stabilise at the top speed available on the line (7150kbps) as we've not seen any drops yet. Speed variations could well be down to the network being a bit busier over the weekends, or possibly if you use wireless it could be that - either way though your sync and line profiles shouldn't change too much.
rackstraw2006
Grafter

Hope it settles soon, gets very annoying when it goes as low as 500kbps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Did you change to the Plusnet Router and are you connected by wireless
rackstraw2006
Grafter

I tried the plus.net router but the wifi signal very poor throughout the house so I went back to the hub 3.
I use the laptop as well as a pc, All tests were done from the pc that has a direct connection to the router.
According to sales team and the bt line check,
Estimated line speed: 8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)
Current line speed: 7.15 Mb
So I checked btwholesale line checker and during the test I got this message
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service..."
rackstraw2006
Grafter

Done a couple of speed tests today:
Down        Up              Ping        Time
6.43Mbps, 0.35Mbps, 47ms, 01.10am
4.82Mbps, 0.27Mbps, 47ms, 11.40am
6.13Mbps, 0.29Mbps, 99ms, 11.50am
4.62Mbps, 0.20Mbps, 52ms, 17.20
4.00Mbps, 0.27Mbps, 66ms, 18.25
What we have found out over the last couple of days, if 2 or more are online browsing the web, pages can take up to 30 seconds to load or just time out.
As a new contract and not the best start, getting very cheesed off at times.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I can see you've raised a fault, we'll take a look over your connection and see if there's anything amiss.
rackstraw2006
Grafter

Something is...
2.55 Mbps today and dropping.
Cant stream or use vodafone sure signal
rackstraw2006
Grafter

I know I left BT because of the price but when I reported a problem with them, I always got a call/email back with in 24 hours. Yet with plus.net I am still waiting 4 days on and I am not the only one.
I was informed that I will be contacted with 24 hours according to the fault ticket I made on the 4th and yet still nothing.
I have done loads of speed tests now and my speed is still bouncing around like a ping pong ball. One minute I can be 5.50Mbps then next minute 1.20Mbps. The worst being 768Kbps, at which point we turned the net off because we could use nothing.
On a few of the many ping tests I have done the returned results were over 1800ms.
I know the problem is not my end as my line worked fine with BT where it had a stable line speed of around 6.80Mbps
So I wish to cancel my broadband as I feel I was mis sold a product with reference to line speed quoted to me is not what is being offered and you have had plenty of time to help find the problem to fix.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just nudged our faults team for you, the ticket should be updated this afternoon. Sorry you're wanting to cancel, though I'm afraid we can't arrange that through these forums - you'd need to give us a call and have a word with our COT team, you can do that on 08004320200.
Please do give us a chance to sort the fault for you though.
rackstraw2006
Grafter

Thanks you Matt Taylor with the nudge it helped, I got a call an hour later and an engineer out next day.  Grin
BT Engineer was out and could not find nothing to cause the problem. However he did re-join the cable at the external box outside the house but thinks it might have just been "one of those things". He went to the exchange and played for about 10 minutes then left.  Embarrassed
Since his visit however my line in sitting steady at around 6.3Mbps. This is still 500kbps under what I had with BT but as the engineer said "one of those things".
Time will tell.
I have learned something during this process, IMO If you have a problem, call customer service and DO NOT use the online ticket system as it is badly monitored.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Or, for the best service, post on the forums.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.