cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - what does the FTTC engineer installation visit entail?

mariekine

New customer - what does the FTTC engineer installation visit entail?

Hi,
We just just signed up for plusnet unlimited fibre and got a contact from plusnet saying that an engineer needs to visit out house to install equipment for FTTC and that there will be an charge for this but they cant tell me how much it will cost? There was nothing in the sign up process that mentioned any installation charges, only the £5.99 for the router delivery, or did i miss something?
What exactly is this FTTC installation in my house? what equipment are they installing?
Thanks Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: New customer - what does the FTTC engineer installation visit entail?

Usually they go to the cabinet your phone goes off while they are connecting you up. They then come and install a filtered faceplate hook up your modem and make sure it's working
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The engineer is from BT Openreach, he/she will install a new faceplate to your Master telephone socket, and will supply  an FTTC Modem to which the PlusNet router is connected
and that there will be an charge for this but they cant tell me how much it will cost?

That doesn't sound right, there is a fixed 'Activation fee' for FTTC which is
Fibre activation fee
There's a £50 one-off activation fee, which covers the cost of connecting your Plusnet fibre optic broadband service.
Want free activation?
Take fibre broadband, and add one of our phone packages to get free fibre broadband activation.
We'll even include a wireless router worth £40 - just pay for the P&P (£5.99)
and should have been shown in the sign up process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mariekine

Thanks for the replies!
I guess its just an error in their communication, we ordered the phone and unlimited fibre package so should be free. will wait and see what they say.

Can the FTTC modem only be connected to the master socket faceplate that is being installed, or can you connect it elsewhere in the house? I think the master socket is in our kitchen and if thats the only place the FTTC modem can go then thats a royal pain in the ass as I want to use LAN cables, not wireless and running a cable through the kitchen is not going to work.... hmm.....
mariekine

atually! scrap that, i can just use the ethernet over power solution, problem solved, forgot about that Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

You can request a data extension where they will install some CAT5 or similar up to around 30 meters from your master socket.
The new VDSL plate has a RJ45 connector on (which the RJ11 from the modem plugs into) so if you already have CAT5 cable near your socket you may be able to use that with a RJ45 coupler at the other end to plug the modem into.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@mariekine That's been my solution to a similar issue too, although when mine was installed last week there was some debate as to which of my two available sockets were the master socket (one in my bedroom and one in the living room in a one floor apartment) glad to say the engineer agreed to fit the new socket in my bedroom which is where I prefer to keep my router (and now modem) set up.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team