cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - very high ping

xoranium

New customer - very high ping

Hi,
Yesterday I raised a fault with the technical team regarding high latency, from which they said they would look into it on Monday.
In the mean time I wish to provide a little data in the hope we can get to the bottom of the fault a bit quicker. I have attached line stats and a 30 minute Ping Plot.
During the ping test I was connected to the master socket via filter and Ethernet to my PC. My PC has a clean install of Win8.1 and has all updates nothing was using the connection other than Ping Plotter. In addition the only things using power in the house are my router and my pc.
The Ping plot shows a snapshot of what my connection is like between 4pm and 2am, after 2am(ish) the ping stabilises at about 50ms. (Edit - this is no longer the case, no stabilisation takes place)
Back in June when I was with BT, Scottish & Southern Energy moved the main power-line feeding the house from above (on poles) to underground, and they buried it right next to the incoming telecom line, ever since then I have had this ridiculous latency. Maybe its causing a problem, maybe not I really do not know ...
If there is any further data I can provide that may help solve this issue, please let me know. Or indeed if you have any experience of REIN
Thanks
Dan
8 REPLIES 8
xoranium

Re: New customer - very high ping

I have recorded another 30 minute ping plot from this morning. Once again under the same conditions as mentioned above.
From past experience, this will continue to destroy my IP profile and within 2-3 days my connection will disconnect completely as the DLM cannot deal with such a horrendous line.
I challenge anyone to have a connection worse than mine Tongue
Dan
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think REIN, interference, CRC errors etc. could possibly account for high or variable ping times. Interleaving on the line, to increase error correction, would result in a higher but constant base latency. Interference / REIN that results in CRC errors would cause packet loss, but it can't really explain very high or variable ping times - ping packets don't get re-transmitted if they're lost.
Also I think the ping command from a command prompt would be the most reliable way to measure the latency.
If the latency is much higher during busier times of the day - that suggests it's more likely to be congestion at the exchange. You can see if your exchange is listed here: https://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
xoranium

Thankyou ejs for your response,
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSGVR  this is my exchange, only 257 connections to it, my mother is connected to the same exchange and she has a constant 40 ping even at peak times with a connection rate of 7mb..
cmd prompt ping test attached...
Edit. Added router stats

Thanks
Dan
xoranium

Off peak speed test
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It might be worth using the ping command within the router itself, which should help rule out any problem with your PC. It might be somewhere in the web interface, if not I think it's possible to ping an IP address via the router's telnet interface.
xoranium

Hi, I have tried testing with 2 laptops via ethernet and 2 mobile phones over wireless and all report the same story...
I have also tried via Telnet command results below (edit - ip = bbc.co.uk)
Thanks
Dan
xoranium

Just about managed to get a 3rd stage test done at BTW..
This is just unusable now, google takes over 10 seconds to load lol.
Believe it or not my standard mobile signal (not 3G) is 4 times faster than my wired Plusnet connection  Shocked
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@xoranium,
Glad to see the line is pretty stable at the moment (i.e so we can rule out things like REIN as a cause).
I can see we've reported a speed fault with our suppliers so we'll just need to see how that plays out now, bear with us and we'll be updating you about that soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team