Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - traffic management query

shantikris
Dabbler

New customer - traffic management query

Hi there,
I am an excited new customer awaiting my installation of 80/20 fibre broadband, and am hoping to get some clarification on Plusnet's traffic management.
From what I've read, Plusnet will prioritise VOIP, streaming, general browsing and other gold traffic above P2P/Usenet which is bronze. This will mean that when I am using P2P/Usenet during these activities, some of its bandwidth will be taken to server the gold traffic. I have two questions from this (assuming the aforementioned is correct).
First, how much of the bandwidth will be taken away from the P2P/Usenet download, just enough for the gold traffic to operate properly, or more excessively such that the drop in P2P/Usenet speed is noticeable?
Second, when I am not using my connection for gold activities, will my P2P activity operate at line speed? i.e. if I am getting speeds of 70mb, will my download speed come at 70mb (assuming seeds are at their highest, P2P program working, etc).
Thanks in advance for the support.
Kris
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New customer - traffic management query

The drop in P2P or lower priority activities is just to allow the higher priority flows to work correctly, so if you're downloading at 70mb/s and start a 5mb/s stream , you should still download at around 65mb/s.
If your connection is not being used for anything else, you should get full speed on P2P (assuming enough seeds and that you're not completely saturating the upload).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have a read of this http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shantikris
Dabbler

Oh excellent. Just the answer I was hoping for! Smiley
Quote from: Strat
Have a read of this http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/

Thanks Strat, I read that multiple times (among other help pages) but since it is nearly two years old, I thought I would get some confirmation in case the rules had changed  Smiley