Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer to FTTC

chrisgould23
Grafter

New customer to FTTC

Hello.
This is my first post so be gentle.
I have just moved to plusnet from O2 and have had fibre unlimited installed.The speed plusnet promised have fallen a little short of the mark and I don't know  what to do next.
They said when I ordered 50 meg up and 13 meg down due to the distance from the cabinet. (600m). On the day it was installed the download was sure enough 50 meg but the download speed was only 6 meg.
At day 3 the download speed had fallen to 35 meg and by day 5 25 meg. Out of sheer frustration I rebooted the router and the 582. it is now running between 42 and 44 meg but the upload speed is still 6 meg.
Plusnet arranged for an openreach engineer to check the line (which I was surprised about considering I was still within the first 10 days) and he came back and said that it was right at the cabinet and it must be due to the line between said cabinet and my home. He spouted some rubbish about aluminium cables, I know that the whole estate where I live was rewired in late nineties or early noughties as they had had a lot of underground faults due to the way the original cables had been thrown in when the estate was being built in the eighties. New ducting was installed in every street and the cabinets were repositioned in more sensible places.
He found it incredible that I had complained about the upload speed not being what was promised and said he was going to "tip off" his colleagues just in case any of them were called out to a further fault and was not prepared to do anything else. He also made some comment about "what was I a bank" as apparently only banks need a decent upload speed, mere mortals do not need any sort of half decent speed. Plusnet have not said a word about the outcome of his visit so I have opened a ticket asking for information.What annoys me more than anything is that the "engineer" didn't check any of the connections between the cabinet and my home so how could he arrive at his diagnosis, just to dismiss this as line loss seems to me to be a couldn't care less attitude. The only bit of original cabling is between the manhole at the bottom of the drive and a plastic box on the side of my house and the bit you can see that comes out of the tarmac on my drive has perished badly. I am sorely tempted to lift the small manhole in the pavement and run a temporary bit of cable to my house, just to eliminate it out of the equation. So my question is: where do I go from here? Shall I just put up with it or do I keep complaining hoping someone will take me seriously and maybe try to improve things?
Chris
48 REPLIES 48
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New customer to FTTC

The question you said about running a temporary able from the plastic manhole to your property, this is illegal as that plastic manhole is BT's property and should not be tampered with. Only BT are allowed to access this and work on it when necessary. 
Was running the the speedtest over wifi or via ethernet cable?
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
retsil
Dabbler

As tech to do GEA test - then you'll see how many errors you've got and if it's DLM restricting you because of them.
Reboot the router - not the modem - as this should improve the connection.
chrisgould23
Grafter

Thanks for the replies will try what has been suggested. In answer to the first reply I'm connected with an ethernet cable.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi chrisgould23, welcome to the forums.
I thinks you are getting your upload and download mixed up in part of your post, you mean 50meg down and 13meg up, so can you confirm that you are talking about 6Mbps up - and not down  Shocked
I'm surprised that there wasn't an already open ticket on your account in relation to the engineer visit, rather than having to open one. Have a look at the closed tickets just in case the information is there. But which ever, I would put all the information from your first post (with corrections) into which ever ticket (leaving out the bit about lifting manholes etc. but commenting on the perished cable  and that fact that the engineer didn't even look at any of it, and tell Plusnet in the ticket you want them to make a formal complaint to Openreach about the engineers attitude and comments.
Two other things, the Openreach box is a Modem, not a Router and re-booting the Router will make no difference in any event.
Don't reboot the Modem, the Fibre DLM may see it as a dropping connection and it can be very aggressive.
chrisgould23
Grafter

Just to clarify:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2745954932.png

That's after re-booting router, didn't seem to make any difference
Anotherone
Champion

If you really ever feel that a resync may be beneficial then there is an advised technique. But first, log into the Router and click Disconnect, this drops the PPP session. Wait 30 seconds and then click Connect. This ensures that the relevant servers are updated with your current sync speeds.
Now run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. The results will give the Downstream Profile for the Line which is directly related to the sync speed. (Ignore the Upstream it'll say 20Mbps).
Also check your Current Line speed (Login required) this should match the BT IP Profile, if it is much lower then it'll limit your speed and you'll need to get Plusnet to adjust it.
If you want to post the results, do a Copy and Paste  and post here (no need to grab an image).
If you really think your BT Profile is too low, then log into the Router, click Disconnect, wait a moment or two and then power down the Router. Wait a few moments, the power off the Modem and leave it off for at least an hour. Do this in daylight hours well away from dawn or dusk.
Then power up the Modem and wait for sync and all the lights to stabilise. Power up the Router, login and click Connect. Then run the BTw Diagnostic test again.
There is no guarantee that this will result in any improvement, it could result in a slower speed but that is less common.
chrisgould23
Grafter

O.K.
Again thank you for your help.
I did what you said:
BTW test 45.15 down 6.77 up 28.75 ping.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 45.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-46.37 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 46.37 Mbps
Plusnet
Estimated line speed:
    50Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-05-27 18:36:18
Current line speed:
    78 Mb
Am going out tomorrow so will power router off for at least an hour.

Chris
chrisgould23
Grafter

Just noticed that if you try to order broadband they are only quoting download speed now. There is no mention of upload speed at all. Wonder why?
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

Please, please try and get your terminology right, It's extremely important on Fibre as you have the Openreach Modem and your own or Plusnet supplied Router. On ADSL you had a combined Modem/Router which people lazily referred to as a Router.
If someone said reboot the Router and you rebooted the Modem the results may not be what you expected!
Please also ensure you click Disconnect in the Router before you power it off and do that before you power off the Modem. You do the reverse when powering up as explained earlier.
chrisgould23
Grafter

Sorry I got one word wrong, I should have said I will power off the  ECI telecom openreach modem tomorrow not the thomson technicolor 582n router after having pressed disconnect, as per your instructions.
I'm not used to having two pieces of kit, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to broadband having had ADSL since it became available at my exchange.
I apologise if I have angered you.
I followed your instructions to the letter and posted what you said in my previous post and will do the same tomorrow, not at dawn or at dusk.

Chris
Anotherone
Champion

You haven't angered me at all, far from it, I was just worried that you might have been a bit confused and that might result in unexpected events. No problem, and I wasn't implying you were any form of idiot, so apologies if you took it that way, I always work on the assumption that people aren't always as conversant as others, and less conversant people who may read the thread may get confused if the picture isn't clear.
chrisgould23
Grafter

Did what you said and it didn't change anything at all.

Chris
Anotherone
Champion

Has the BT IP Profile as shown by the BTw Diagnostic Test not changed at all?
chrisgould23
Grafter

Both download and upload speeds decreased to 44.66 and 6.59 respectively.
The ip has gone down to 45.59 and the ping has gone up to 32.50.
I hope I've got this the right way round.

Chris