cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

ChrissyR
Dabbler

Re: New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

I didnt have to do anything in the end because a replacement router arrived in the post this morning. I telephoned the tech department and they helped me set it up and I now have a fully working service, I am so relieved.  Thanks everyone for trying to sort my problem out, it has been much appreciated.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I'm glad you are on-line OK. I was wondering last night. Did  they send you a returns bag for the original 2704n?
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Yes they sent me a returns bag.
Anotherone
Champion

Glad about that, I hope they are investigating the "faulty" ones. Introducing a new modem/router and to have so many issues is not good.
chasbro
Dabbler

Hi
I have the same problem re certain webpages not opening etc  also  the wifi isnt as strong as my old BT Hub.  Its a 2704N router.  Do  I do as one of the earlier posters with the fibre modem.
I have adsl.
Thanks
chasbro
Dabbler

HI
I have just disconnected he router through the browser.  waited 30 seconds then unplugged and waited at least 15 minutes. I still have the same problem.
Any thought?
Can I use my BT hub?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Anotherone
Champion

Is the problem still occurring with the same websites? Can you post the url's and ideally the IP addresses of the sites that are a problem. Can you Check your IP Address and post it with the last octet redacted (replace with xxx)
You should be able to use your BT Hub as linked by Jaggies, and/or if it's not locked and you can change your broadband login details to your Plusnet ones, but I would configure as much of that off-line as possible to avoid repeated reboots/losses of sync.
You have done the sensible thing doing a graceful disconnect, but I would try a couple of things with the 2704n (cautiously) depending on how many sync drops you may have had today with your attempts to get this working -
Check the DNS servers are suitably configured - see attached screen grab for the page, choose the ones you want.
If you've been using the Plusnet default, try others, perhaps Google to test.
But, could you clarify, did the 2704n arrive with you configured as a Fibre Router or an ADSL modem/router?
If the latter, then (having done a graceful disconnect) do a factory reset off-line. When you reconnect to the line, wait the 15 minutes to be sure the tr069 has configured the 2704n - login an check, if the problem remains, change the DNS as already mentioned and see if that resolves it.
If the 2704n arrived configured as a Fibre Router, this may be because the MTU is misconfigured and may require some Plusnet attention tomorrow.
Please let us know.
chasbro
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for your long reply.  The router came for ADSL.
Im afraid all the rest is foreign to me.
Thanks
PS  I will have another read.
chasbro
Dabbler

PS  cannot get the BT Hub to reset.  It doesnt show when I try to log in to it.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, when you connect a different modem/router to a computer then the gateway address can be different. Now if you aren't especially technically savvy then the quickest way to deal with this is when the modem/router has finished booting and all lights are stable (the DSL/Broadband light may be flashing steadily if you aren't connected to the line - that's ok) then just reboot your computer, you should then be able to log into the modem/router. You generally need to do that every time you change modem/router. There are other ways but more technical.
As for the previous post, the red underlined  your IP Address is a link, when you click on it, it'll give you your IP address which will be 4 sets of digits in the form aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  the last octet is the ddd and you should remove it when posting the information. The reason for asking for this if you are having difficulty with some web sites may be due to the fact that there are some blocks of IP addresses which for some reason aren't being recognised as Plusnet's. I doubt this is your particular problem, and in any case it has nothing to do with the modem/router, but it's worth checking to be sure.
Now as far as the DNS is concerned, these servers look up the website name you put into your browser and convert it to the website's IP address so your browser can connect to it. Sometime these look-ups fail and sometimes these are due to misconfigured servers. Again this is not common, nothing to do with the modem/router. When you factory reset a modem/router it usually defaults to getting the DNS automatically (as per the attached screen grab of the previous post) you'll see the Auto option on the settings, by using the drop-down you can select other servers and I was suggesting you try Google ones.
If you still have trouble with not getting to some websites then post back here with the url/name of the website you are trying to get to, your redacted IP address (ie. with the removed last octet) and (also a link) which Gateway you are on and which DNS you were using.
I hope that's translated all the "foreign" for you, ask away if there's any more you'd like explaining or clarifying.
crow999

same problems here..many web sites fail just say connecting or time out  Angry ... plus my iphone will not load any pages or run games once connected to wifi...just left sky no problems for the couple of years i used them..done two factory resets
Stringbean

Hi I've been posting over last few days on what seems to be same issue, "DNS Resolution Issues - New Customer". I have given up trying to sort DNS issues and am now assuming I have the same Router issue as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I just stuck my old BT Home Hub in place instead, just had to factory reset and then add my connection details, login and password and was up and running.
Was hoping that Plusnet Support might pick up on my other thread but no luck so far.
chasbro
Dabbler

I have renamed plusnet shitenet.
Still not working.  Maybe they send the faulty routers to the customers getting free broadband.
Anyone with same problem now got a virus. Google lead services?  Appears when the websites that don't work get clicked on. Spent 4 hours removing it yesterday for it to appear on my phone this morning.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Getting a virus has nothing to do with the router problem or the Internet service.
The absence of AV software on your devices might be your issue, but that is quite a different matter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.