cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

Benmenzies1

New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

Hi,
I've recently signed up with plusnet but only just thought if comment as I wanted to wait for a couple of weeks for the line to settle to make sure that wasn't the problem.
My issue is that certain websites are simply not responding e.g. 4od, Mozilla (as I tried to download a new browser as I thought that might be the problem) and various other sites (including speed check sites!)
Other websites such as BBC news/iplayer, or google work fine (if a little slow) but are definitely useable.
The issue is the same regardless of whether the connection is wired or wireless. Any help would be hugely appreciated!
61 REPLIES 61
gingerbloke
Grafter

Re: New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

If you know how to do it change the DNS from auto to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that makes a difference.
Benmenzies1

Thank you for the advice, tried it and unfortunately didn't make any difference. Any other ideas?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
Do you see this problem ALL of the time with the said sites?  If not it could be just that they are over subscribed at times.
Look at the speed issues thread and post the requested information please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I think I know what the problem might be. Try a factory reset of the router and give it 10-15 minutes or so to set itself up again. Let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Bob
I think I know what the problem might be.

What's that Bob?  The only thing which comes to mind based on the recommendation is that the account is (was) in the wrong domain?  I recall such problems from a while back - I though that had been systematically eradicated?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jg321
Grafter

My PN supplied 2704n seemed to have an MTU issue, which magically resolved itself after 15 mins and a reboot. I suspect this is what Bob is referring to.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The OP's issue should be resolved now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jg321
My PN supplied 2704n seemed to have an MTU issue, which magically resolved itself after 15 mins and a reboot. I suspect this is what Bob is referring to.

Yep. There are isolated instances of the incorrect MTU being set by the TR069 ACS servers when a router is first provisioned. I made an ACS change that should have fixed things following a factory reset/reprovision. I don't know a great deal about the problem but I'm led to believe that it's been addressed in the next revision of the Plusnet 2704n firmware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jd99

Having joined Plusnet a week or so ago, I am having similar issues - eg I can log on to my AOL email but my yahoo email, I can log on to one of my  high street bank accounts but not another! Please could you look into this as I have phoning but by the time the music comes round more than once I have given up. Thanks
Benmenzies1

All sorted after the reset. Thanks for the help
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@jd99
Can you try to reset your router as well?
I've carried out the same work.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jd99

Thank you - indeed, all  is now well.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

At this moment, I can't see anywhere, even logging in as http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html/ where it shows the MTU setting.
In any event surely this issue should have had something posted on the Announcement boards. Even since this thread there are users floundering with the same issue Sad
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Matthew
I've carried out the same work.

I thought this implied that Plusnet need to fix a setting somewhere for each user's account.