cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, speed issue.

Gavin28

New customer, speed issue.

Hi, just joined Plusnet yesterday, moved over from Virgin. I'm on the BBYW Pro package.
The reason i moved over was because Virgin were restricting my bandwidth to 64kbps during the day (on a 4Mbit line) and gaming was impossible with pings of 225ms to the gateway.
Happy to say the ping time to the gateway has droped to 30 - 40ms so will be able to get playing online again  Cheesy
Unfortunatly my downloads speeds seam to be restricted still for Peer-to-Peer applications both during the day and at night, normal downloads seam to be fine.
I was under the impression that p-2-p wasn't restricted on  the Pro package, and want to know if this can be resolved.
Also the IP Profile for the line is at 3000kbps, i'm sure it was around 4000 but cant remember when, (used to download at 4Mbit/s before Virgin started restricting my bandwidth), can this be changed back at all?
I've done a BT Speed Test with the results below:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4512 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2750 kbps
Thanks for any help received.
Gavin.
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: New customer, speed issue.

Hi Gavin,
P2P will be classified as gold traffic so you shouldn't be noticing larger scale slow downs in your speeds.
What sort of speeds are we referring to here?  I used to get line rate Usenet speeds when I was on the Pro package.
Gavin28

Opps, forgot to say!  Roll_eyes
64kbps, day and night.
Thanks for the quick reply.  Cheesy
James
Grafter

That's really quite strange.
Would you mind doing a Wireshark capture for me, to see if we are misprioritising your traffic?
Video Tutorial
Gavin28

Thanks for helping Jameseh, i've done a wireshark capture like you asked, not sure how to send it to you though!
James
Grafter

Thanks Gavin.
If you visit this link then you'll see how you can raise it to us as a ticket.
Gavin28

I've just sent it to you via private message, do you still want me to raise a ticket?
James
Grafter

Please Gavin.
As per the PM, if I'm reading the capture correctly (stranger things have happened) then there's some profiling badness going on on your account.
Gavin28

I thought so, is there anything you can do or shall i raise a ticket?
James
Grafter

There's not really anything I can do until you've raised the ticket Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

In addition: 
You can see a very useful table of sync speed to IP Profile on the Plusnet website here
As the table shows, if you can *reliably* increase your sync rate to 4544 or above, you should attain a profile of 4000 after three days.
Might be time to see if you can squeeze that difference by checking your wiring!
B.
James
Grafter

Gavin,
Can you try rebooting your router for me?  Apparently, this might *poke* your profile into behaving itself.
Please do get the ticket raised also so that I can have your profile checked at our end also.
Gavin28

Raised a ticket now, thanks Jameseh.
Hi Barry, thanks for the link. I've just changed the filter and cable with the new ones that arrived with the new router about 30 mins ago.
Just rebooted the router Jameseh
Link speed now 4640kbps Up, 448 kbps Down
zubel
Community Veteran

Excellent!
Now all you need to do is maintain that sync speed for the next 72 hours or so and your profile should bump to 4000.
Bear in mind if you have a resync event below 4544 then your profile will likely raise to 3500 and not 4000. 
Out of interest, what are the line stats as reported by your router?  (SNR, Margin etc).
B.
James
Grafter

Thanks Gavin.
Did you notice any improvement in your P2P speeds now?
Looking at the trace again, it appears I've been quite the muppet and confused myself lots Smiley
All of your outgoing traffic is 0x00 (unidentified) and all of your incoming traffic is 0x80 (Gold).  So that looks okay.