cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, not connecting

sdparkes666
Dabbler

New customer, not connecting

So I've switched from BT to Plusnet and have received the email saying all is good, but the router in the admin is saying dsl down, and the 2 lights are flashing...
Now oddly, I'm on a Fibre package, but I don't have fibre to my house, only to the cabinet so don't have a modem.
In teh router I have changed it to adsl, and set my username/password, plugged in through the Microfilter and cable I was using for my BTHub5 yesterday, so as far as I am aware, it's all good..
Any ideas please ?
Am trying to call support, but, no great shocks, a long queue..
thanks
Simon
21 REPLIES 21
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: New customer, not connecting

If you are on Fibre you will not be able to connect without the modem. As you have a compatible HomeHub I'd suggest inputting your plusnet dsl logon into that and trying to connect
DSL Username: "Username"@plusdsl.net
DSL Password: your account password
If this works ask a member of staff to post you an Openreach modem,in regards to the email, generally this is sent on the morning of a fibre connection and triggers the automated systems to say complete at that point. The order may still be going through with BTWholesale
sdparkes666
Dabbler

Quote from: Darkfire
If you are on Fibre you will not be able to connect without the modem. As you have a compatible HomeHub I'd suggest inputting your plusnet dsl logon into that and trying to connect
DSL Username: "Username"@plusdsl.net
DSL Password: your account password
If this works ask a member of staff to post you an Openreach modem,in regards to the email, generally this is sent on the morning of a fibre connection and triggers the automated systems to say complete at that point. The order may still be going through with BTWholesale

I don't have Fibre, thats the thing !
Please read my post Cheesy
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This part caught me out:
"Now oddly, I'm on a Fibre package"
Are you saying you're on ADSL as a temporary measure?
Edit: if you don't manage to sort this tonight I will take a look when I get into work tomorrow at the account. Hard to troubleshoot on the way home Smiley
cedlor
Grafter

What router do you have - were you on dsl with BT?
Maybe PN have sent you a router set up for Fibre I have seen posts where that has happened before.
Have you changed PPP0e to PPP0a  - a screen shot of the set up pages from the router might enable us to spot something.
Edit - should have also said did it come with a filter - sure sign it is an adsl router
sdparkes666
Dabbler

Quote from: cedlor
What router do you have - were you on dsl with BT?
Maybe PN have sent you a router set up for Fibre I have seen posts where that has happened before.
Have you changed PPP0e to PPP0a  - a screen shot of the set up pages from the router might enable us to spot something.
Edit - should have also said did it come with a filter - sure sign it is an adsl router

No microfilter, or cable which I thought odd..
Will get some screenshots a bit later, connected to my neighbors BB so the wife can get her Facebook fix !
sdparkes666
Dabbler

This part caught me out:
"Now oddly, I'm on a Fibre package"
Are you saying you're on ADSL as a temporary measure?
Edit: if you don't manage to sort this tonight I will take a look when I get into work tomorrow at the account. Hard to troubleshoot on the way home Smiley

Not on anything Sad
I have FTTC  not FTTP, so I never had fibre as such...
Note sure how to change to PPPOe
Have attached a screenshot of the router info
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With FTTC you will still require the Openreach Modem or the HomeHub 5 which has a VDSL modem built into the unit, did you manage to get through to support?
sdparkes666
Dabbler

So, I had a fiddle, and plugged in my BT Hub 5, followed the instructions on here, and am now happily working Smiley
sdparkes666
Dabbler

With FTTC you will still require the Openreach Modem or the HomeHub 5 which has a VDSL modem built into the unit, did you manage to get through to support?

gave up on trying to phone support, not too worried as am online now..
I'll probably stick with the BT hub to be honest as it's pretty good...
sdparkes666
Dabbler

Not too bad speed, need to give it a few days to settle down..

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: sdparkes666
Now oddly, I'm on a Fibre package, but I don't have fibre to my house, only to the cabinet

That's how FTTC works, fibre to the cabinet and copper from the cabinet to your property.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad it's all working for you, I'll send you a modem out tomorrow morning, always handy to have one spare if any troubleshooting needs doing in the future
sdparkes666
Dabbler

Glad it's all working for you, I'll send you a modem out tomorrow morning, always handy to have one spare if any troubleshooting needs doing in the future

Much appreciated, thanks very much  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you a member of staff, Darkfire? You don't appear to be...