cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - lower speeds than expected?

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: New customer - lower speeds than expected?

Re-sync tomorrow well inside daylight hours to get best sync.
Re the drop in attenuation, around 3dB is common between ADSL2 and 2+. (As I think you posted in your OP).
ADSL2 attenuation is the same as ADSL as they use the same frequencies. ADSL2 is just a better protocol. When you go to ADSL2+ the greater attenuation on the higher frequencies is included in the average figure we are given in the simple stats. Hence the rise in average attenuation. (Some router/MSAN combinations do seem to keep the attenuation the same somehow).
You greater drop will be a combination of the 2.5-3dB you saw before and probably a different way of calculating the average between the two routers. When I was on ADSL2+ my Linksys router reported 52.5dB. When the wireless on that died I replaced it with a Speedtouch 586 and straight out of the box that gave 49dB and a sync increase of about 700kbps. Which goes to show not everything about stats is black and white. Later Netgear 834s gave the same as the Speedtouch.
MyRomeo
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks, interesting feedback.
I've been on adsl2 for a few days now and it's rock solid stable. I simply disables adsl2+ in my router. I'm hoping the higher sync speeds (nakedly upload) will be picked up by the system and I'll be able to increase the down sync speed. I have noticed the down sync SNR is sitting at about 6.5dB so there is still capacity in the line.
I need to get it set to a 3dB profile tho, perhaps I'll message one of the staff who replied above.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi, I have run some checks and tests on your line and can see some potential drops in connection but I can see that it has been stable for the past 3 days. I would recommend to check this link to assist you further with some initial checks from your end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8Q3S-fOl4&index=2&list=PLZx9FPn3_-IWO2meOQ6gh66tn5oiXVdxA
MyRomeo
Dabbler

Thanks Ben 
I'm currently connected to a bt open reach filtered face plate that was fitted earlier this year so no filters are needed elsewhere.
The drops you see will be from me reconfiguring my router at the weekend. Prior to this I had 10 days stable and it's been stable since 
Can you put me on 3dB profile please?
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have now set your profile to 3db at your request. please allow up to 4 hours for these changes to take effect.
MyRomeo
Dabbler

Thanks Ben. I've reenabled  adsl2+ on my router and I'm now synced at 10143kbps although no change in upload, that seems well and truly stuck at 784 on adsl2+ and about 1000 on adsl2. That's a worth whilst improvement and should allow me to download at around 1MB/s
I'll leave the line some for a few days to allow my bras profile to catch up as it's still at 7mb. I guess this just takes a little time.
Thanks again.
MyRomeo
Dabbler

Upload stuck at 768kbps

Hi again, first off thanks for putting my download on the 3db profile, I'm currently synced at 10695kbps which is giving a stable and repeatable 8.7mbps throughout. This is great for my line.
For some reason tho no matter when I resync my upload always syncs at 768kbps. This is using the 2704n router supplied by plusnet and connected using ADSL2+.  If I use my own sagem router and force it to ADSL2 only the upload syncs at close to 1100kbps but the drop on download is significant.
I've read about capped uploads on here but they seem to be at 448kbps. Is there any reason my line is being capped at 786kbps and if so is it possible to remove said cap or otherwise boost my upload? Surely adsl2+ should be able to sync higher than adsl2!
Does a 3db upload profile exist? Would my line benefit from annex M?
Thank you Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Upload stuck at 768kbps

I think the characteristic of ADSL2 attaining a higher upload speed than ADSL2+ is just due to a certain type of BTWholesale exchange equipment being not very good, or at least not as good as the other type. There's probably not a lot that can be done unless there's also the better type of equipment at your exchange, and someone manages to get your line connected to it.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topics merged to keep everything in one place.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

To answer the other questions:
There isn't a 3db upload profile. According to this document, the upload target is either 6 or 9.
Annex M, I doubt it would be worth it, you would lose some download bandwidth.
Perhaps something else to check and consider is if interleaving on. Interleaving off for the upstream might improve the speed slightly. Usually switching interleaving on or off is handled automatically by the DLM, and the DLM seems to be pretty keen to switch interleaving off for my line at least.
MyRomeo
Dabbler

just an update to this, since being moved to a 3db profile my line has re-synced 3 or 4 times and each time saw an increase in speed, I'm not at 11159kbps down but the upload is still down, currently at 752kbps. pings are quick and browsing is a pleasure tho. SNR currently at 1.4 and stable Smiley