Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer having issues please advise

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: New customer having issues please advise

Those full stats are really useful.  When was the router last resynch'd?
The reported line attenuation would lead one to expect a synch nearer 18Mbps - why you are getting so much less needs to be placed at the top of the question list.  It might be that same reason why your data speed is so much lower than the line speed.
Were the router stats and BT speed test results concurrent?
At times when you notice that the performance is slower than usual, take a look at the router stats to see which figures are different.  The one to watch is the DS Noise Margin, assuming that the data rate has remained the same (there has been no resynch at a different speed).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Could be Aluminium Line?
@very452001
What sort of Download Speed did you get on TalkTalk?
also
Quote from: very452001
17070 option 2 = quiet hardly no noise

Could you expand on that? The only noise you might/should hear would be a very faint sort of hiss or mush type noise. If you heard any crackly type noise or other noises at any point then there could be a line issue.
And btw, just for clarification, it would not have been a Plusnet Engineer that changed over the connections at the exchange, all that work as well as line maintenance is done by OpenReach whoever the ISP is, LLU or otherwise.
very452001
Grafter

The tests were not concurrent and were done separately.
Apart from capped upload speeds what are the other common problems of ADSL PlusNet that new customers like me experience e.g. traffic congestion etc.?
I do not understand all the technical jargon terms laid out to me in the analysis. When I do raise a fault then what is the fault called so I can tell PlusNet.
Shall I await the xDSL test before raising the fault?
What profile am I on at the moment? I remember when I was with talktalk they had several profiles like fastpath, interleave, default profiles etc.
Which PlusNet profile is best for online gaming?
I can definitely tell you that I remember talktalk upload speeds were much faster.
No crackly noises or other noises on the line at all.
Don't know whether I have a Aluminium line?
Anotherone
Champion

There aren't "common" problems as such, but obviously issues do arise. The Upload not being Uncapped on the original order is I'm afraid something that does happen a few times, not an issue as it can be uncapped.
Fastpath is the best for Gaming as it has lower ping (lag) times but the line also needs reasonably low errors.
Can you answer the queries from my previous post about the download speed you had on TalkTalk and the Line Noise.
It will be a good idea to wait for the xDSL and other checks before raising a fault (which will be better progressed here by one of the CRT if that's needed).
Edit: sorry missed your answer on that, but you don't know about download?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There are no apparent issue here specifically to do with your move to PlusNET.  The figures you have provided rather point to a home to exchange issue - all well before hitting PlusNET provuded services.
One question to confirm - are the data speed tests wired or wireless?  In reply #2 you state that it is the same using either: can you be certain / confirm that when undertaking wired test that the wifi was switched off?  It is not unknown for tests to have been conducted over wifi and then to have plugged in a cable and repeated the test getting the same result, assuming that the cable connection was used.  If a device has concurrent wired and wifi connectivity, there can be no assurance over which connection will be used.
It is important with issues such as this that the data speed tests are definitely run over a wired connection.
Before considering the profiles, the "gaps" between
- actual line speed (13.8Mbps) and expected line speed (18Mbps) for the attenuation
- data speed (8.6Mbps) and profile speed (12Mbps)
Need to be understood and if possible resolved.  Once you have the optimal data speed one can then look at interleaving matters.
I know you would like this to be simple, but sometimes life is complicated!  The data speed will always be a bit slower than the profile speed and is often impacted must be wifi issues.  The profile speed is always a bit less than the synch speed, which is dependent on line quality - the absence of noise and the like.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

very452001
Grafter

Cant remember what download speeds as I was getting with talktalk but all I remember the upload speeds were much faster on talktalk.
What fault am I experiencing? What profile am I on know? I assume I am on the default profile?
The tests were done wired not wifi. They were done on my PC and my PC does not not have wifi capabilities. I always believed wired is better than wifi.
I await for the XDSL test. When will this test happen?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

First things first, lets get the upload speeds looked at. I'm going to test the line and see what's what.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Right, as suspected the upload speed is capped at 448. I'll place an order to remove the cap and you should see an improvement from tomorrow. If you're still seeing any issues after that we can take them in order.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

You are quite correct that wired is better than WiFi.
You aren't necessarily experiencing any fault at all, Townman hasn't explained that very well at all.
For your line attenuation, we'd normally expect to see a higher speed but that depends on your line to the exchange being a decent quality copper line. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. A lot of lines that were installed, or should I say cables from exchanges to Cabinets and from Cabinets to the local DP (Distribution Point - ie pole usually) when copper was expensive are Aluminium and they aren't as good for Broadband
There's absolutely nothing that can be done about that, OpenReach will not replace cables until they fail.
I'm sure one of the Plusnet CRT members will do the checks for you soon and post them, as you don't appear to have had a line drop based on your last stats, you may still be on Fastpath. All new connections start on Fastpath.
If the exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) finds too many errors on the line it can turn on Interleaving to try to stabilise it. Howver that may not be good for Gaming, you can actually request it be turned off, but any problem causing too many errors would need to be fixed.
DLM wasn't too happy as the last xDSL check showed the ILQ as Amber, so if that's still the case and the errors still as they were, Plusnet will need to do further checks. It's possible your line may have a fault and if so they would send an engineer to fix it.
Do you know how old your Master Socket is? They have been known to go faulty, OpenReach would replace it if that were the case.
Edit: Chris has posted he's done some of the checks.
very452001
Grafter

Ok I await the test results from the plusnet staff.
My master socket is nearly 4 years old. Master socket still looks new.
So my fault is errors on my line? How does a engineer fix this hardware fault? Or will PlusNet do a cheap software fix by using software to turn on interleaving which isn't a proper fix? Best solution for hardware faults is to physically replace them instead of using data management software don't you agree?
Anotherone
Champion

Plusnet do not operate in the manner you imply. TalkTalk may have done that.
Until Chris, or whoever posts up the test data, I don't know if there are still errors on the line.
Interleaving is controlled automatically by the Exchange Dynamic Line Management (DLM). Plusnet (nor any ISP) can't alter the way DLM operates.
Interleaving is a valid method of reducing errors and stabilising a line but if a gamer needs less lag, then other things might need to be done.
They can however place orders to turn Interleaving Off or On, and set a specific Target SNRM.
BT Wholesale have announced a while ago that at some point later this year they will be making alterations that will allow ISP's to customise more aspects of these settings which will be a good thing as it ought to enable the best to be obtained for any particular line.
As far as fixing faults go, if a Copper Line Test (CLT) shows a fault on the Line then Plusnet would get Openreach to fix it. That might be a case of doing a pair swap - ie putting you on a different pair of wires in the cable if it's not a simple case or remaking a faulty joint for example.
In the case of excessive errors, it will depend on the cause if it not a fault on exchange equipment - which would be changed if faulty,the again a pair swap might be done if the line seems to be the cause.
At the moment it's not clear what is happening, I can only assume you had a satisfactory service on TalkTalk  as you seem to think something (apart from the capped upload) is wrong. If that's not the case it would help if you said what the problem with the TalkTalk service was, as that may help a quick resolution of any problem that exists now.
Chris
Legend

I'm just running the tests now. Will post back shortly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Could you post the radius log too please?

Chris
Legend

Upstream  Downstream
Loop Loss:    12.8  27.0 
SNR Margin:  26.1  6.6 
Errored Seconds:  1  3 
HEC Errors:  0 
Cell Count:  168  112 
Speed:      448  13596 

Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds):  52591 
Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds):  208 
Indicative Line Quality:  A 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  44 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Thank you for all the info.  What is your take on the DS MTBE?  44 seconds looks a bit grim - might this account for the poor data speed test results?
Kevin