cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - download/upload speeds

enouf

New customer - download/upload speeds

I received an email this morning from Plusnet saying that my service has been active for two weeks now and gave a comparison of my estimated & actual line speeds:
Estimated line speed: 14Mbps
Current line speed: 4.9Mbps
There's obviously quite a big gap but what's bothering me is that during the first day, I was connected at near 8 mbps which I was very happy with. The next day it dropped to 3.5-4 mbps and has been that way since. is there any way to get it back to 8 mbps or even close to estimated 14 mbps?
Also my upload seems to be capped at 0.3 mbps - how can I get this uncapped?
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: New customer - download/upload speeds

Hi enouf,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're having with low speeds. I've checked over your line and can see that your upload speeds are uncapped. There could be a potential issue with your line.
Would you be able to connect your router into your Test Socket with an alternative Microfilter?
enouf

Hi Chris,
I don't think there is a test socket in my flat - I will double check after work today but just wanted to see if there is anything that could be done in the interim. Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I could reset the line but I don't think that's going to resolve the issue if I'm honest. Let us know if you have a Test Socket, if not, swapping the microfilter would be the next step.
If this doesn't resolve the issue, we can get you a fault raised for us to look in to.
enouf

Ok, I'll get back to you once I've done the checks tonight.
enouf

I checked my phone socket and its a standard one without a test socket. I've tried the following with the same result:
* Changed filter
* Hard reset modem + 15 min wait
* Ethernet connection instead of wifi
I've attached a screenshot of a BT speed test.
enouf

Are you guys able to do anything on your end or will you have to send an engineer out? Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for completing those checks for us.
If you could complete the Fault Checker that you've started, we'll get our Faults Team to run some in-depth checks and they'll get in touch with you to discuss how we go about resolving this for you.
enouf

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you guys for sorting out the speed issue - blazing fast as you can see from the attached speedtest. I'm a very happy customer right now, keep up the great work Chris & PN!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear that's resolved for you enouf!
I've passed your feedback on to Chris and he'll be happy to know he was able to help! Smiley