Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer cannot connect

salsk
Dabbler

New customer cannot connect

Hi guys,
Wondering if you can help with this.  Sorry for the essay!
I referred a friend to Plusnet and his home phone service was moved to Plusnet on Thursday.  He thought this meant his internet connection was also live, but it wasn't when he tried plugging everything in on Friday.  I went around to his house to solve the issue on Saturday and he'd done all of the steps correctly - all of the lights were green on his router, apart from the internet light which was blank.
At first, I assumed that he hadn't entered his username and password correctly.  I logged into the router and there was a different username already in which he said he didn't enter.  I wasn't overly surprised at this as I had the same issue when I first joined Plusnet.  I cleared this, and the password - but it wouldn't connect, and kept reverting from showing my mate's password (asterixed out) and going back to the 6 digit password that was originally in there.  I used Firefox and Internet Explorer, and Opera Mini via my mobile phone connected to the Wifi. 
I tried resetting the router, which merely cleared my mate's account username from the box and reinstated the original username that was in the router when I first logged in.
We gave your help line a call and they were able to tell us that his broadband order wasn't active as there was some work required at the exchange and this would be resolved within 1-2 working days.  He received another phone call on Monday stating that his broadband would be live from Monday at midnight.
He got home from work tonight and attempted to connect to no avail.  All of the router's lights are green apart from the internet - which is now red (it was blank prior to today).  He logged into the router and tried logging in with his username and password, but the password box keeps refilling with the 6 digit password that was there originally - and refuses to connect to the internet.
I asked him to try and connect using the bt_test@startup_domain username and that worked.
I then asked him to try and connect using bt_user_test@plusdsl.net but this will not connect at all - although I wasn't certain whether the saved password that we can't clear from the router is at fault. 
He tried calling but the customer service line had such a long wait on, he thought his call wouldn't be answered before you closed for business.
Unfortunately, he lives over an hour's drive away from me so whilst I don't mind going over to try and resolve his issues, it's a bit of a wasted journey if there's something wrong your end and there isn't anything I can do. 
Is there anything else I can get him to test?
6 REPLIES 6
cedlor
Grafter

Re: New customer cannot connect

Ok - so he can log into the router using admin and the password off his card - yes
Then on the internet page he enters the    username@plusdsl.net  that he gave when he signed up?
then enters the password he gave when he signed up  that is neither of the passwords on his card -yes?

His user name and password should be the same ones that he uses  here:  https://www.plus.net/index_nlp.html
If he doesnt get into that he can reset his password.
Or presumably as he cant get on line to do it you will have to try for him.
Then he can change it again if he doesnt want you to know it long term.
Dont know if you will raise any PN staff on here tonight Smiley  though someone else may have more ideas - I am just a passerby
salsk
Dabbler

Hi mate,
Thanks heaps for your help - you're spot on with your comments...that's definitely the situation regarding the log ins.
Can't believe that I didn't think of resetting his password myself....it's the simple things!
I checked his support tickets and I think the jury is still out as to whether or not his service is actually active, so I've rung him and he's dictated to me so I can update his support ticket....  Hopefully it's just something and nothing that the support team can easily solve! 
Thanks again, mate.  Will keep you updated.  Smiley 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hey,
Do you have the Ticket ID to hand so I can take a look at this for you?
salsk
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for looking into this for us.  The Question ID is:  #107263092
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The account hadn't been activated yet.
I've just done that so you should be able to connect.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
salsk
Dabbler

It's all working for him now - thanks heaps for your help with this.  Smiley