Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer and very happy, but.....

Charrodine
Dabbler

New customer and very happy, but.....

Can I have some more upload speed please?  Wink
I have just come over from Sky Broadband connect and all I can say is that the last 6 months have been hell with Sky :'(.  Sure, this wasnt helped by  line fault, although I genuinely believe this started as an issue with sky and not BTOR, anyway long story short I got to a point with sky where my line was reasonably stable to only get hit by their awful usage policies and traffic management.
So on the advise of friends (and the BTOR engineer) I have moved to PN and I am delighted with the whole service (so far) - touching wood  Wink
The transfer was quick and seamless, i immediately saw speed improvements (both sync and download) and I like the fact I know what I am getting and I can monitor usage (none of which was available with Sky Connect)
I have noticed however that upstream speeds are not as good as they ought to be.  Sync is OK and there are very few errors but doing a speed test I get between .15 and .3Mb (at best) which is causing me issues with VOIP.
My vitals are as follows;

Uptime:  3 days, 23:56:44
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4.256
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 477,35 / 1,60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 19,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22,5 / 44,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 7,6
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 820 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 55 / 1.747.270
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 24 / 2.005
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -4 / 2.005 / 13.159
This was taken from a speed test this morning.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3.75 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.18Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
I am using the PN TG582n router and I think I have read that a new firmware can help but I was reluctant to do this whilst i am still training and given that it has been very stable so far
The other question is whether I m on 21CN or not?  Dates suggest my exchange (Lapworth) should have been done by now but the modulation suggest ADSL, however the speed test and profile sort of suggest 21CN???  which is it?
Also I think i am still on a 9DB SN from Sky days... will this drop with time?
Finally, if I did want better upload speeds, is there something I can get to bolt on to my package - I think I have read about Max premium but dont know whether is will be worth the £7 per month.
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New customer and very happy, but.....

You have either been provisioned on 20CN or 21CN ADSL1 (probably ADSL1 on 21CN from the speed test) either way it should be changed and the upload uncapped
You downstream speed is a bit low but I suggest leaving well alone until the end of the training period - in the meantime do you have a test socket because if you do that is where to recheck the stats after the 10 days
Regarding your speed test is that wireless - if so can you check wired
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Charrodine,
Welcome to the community forum Smiley
I've placed an order to uncap your upload, this will complete tomorrow.
Are you using a wireless connection when your speed fluctuates?
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not sure why they are currently seeing ADSL1 only - has the provisioning been checked for that?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's ADSL1 on 21CN as ADSL2 will not improve the current speed.
Charrodine
Dabbler

Hi Folks
Thanks for the speedy and kind welcome.
Yes the tests done so far have been on wifi - albeit only about 10ft away from the router and showing an indicated 65Mbps, but I will check again wired.
I will also do a check with my test socket, although I do have one of the new BT ADSL face plates and I am fairly confident my internal wires are OK following the debacle with SKY!  (If I am honest my download speed has consistently sat at 3.14Mb (other than this morning) since moving to PN - all I ever achieved with sky is 2.5Mbps so I am fairly happy with this Smiley
As for lifting the upstream cap - if this can be done that would be absolutely amazing!
Thanks again
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: chrispurvey
It's ADSL1 on 21CN as ADSL2 will not improve the current speed.

With an attenuation of 44.5 ADSL2 should give a better speed than ADSL1. Why do you think it won't?
I'd like to see what the BTw availability checker says.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Charrodine
Dabbler

For Telephone Number  on Exchange LAPWORTH
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 1Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.  Embarrassed

I think my SKY woes have somewhat distorted the BTW database!!  Before Sky I always got around 3.5Mps on ADSLMax and that was with an over 50Db line.  Since the problems with Sky I got a new 'e' side 9DB shorter!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can certainly try ADSL2+ and see if there's an improvement but can't promise anything.
Charrodine
Dabbler

Again - that would be amazing.....  I think I already love you guys  Cheesy
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's all placed for you and will complete tomorrow, let us know how you get on.
Charrodine
Dabbler

Hi Folks,  Just a quick update t say thanks for sorting ADSL2 - upload speeds are now much better.  I lost a little on the download but I kind of expected this and I have confidence that this may improve as DLM does its stuff.
I'm only connecting ADSL2 though - I assume the line is too long to even bother with ADSL2+?
Either way, I'm still happy with it  and will see how it settles and hope that I can run a 6DB profile to bump my speeds just a little smidgen more...
Thank you very much PN for such a quick and responsive service - full thumbs up.  Trying to do the same on sky would have taken 4 phone calls, an email and a bit of lady luck to get the right person to sort this!