cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer. Some websites work, some don't. How do I fix misconfigured router?

WNewall
Dabbler

New customer. Some websites work, some don't. How do I fix misconfigured router?

I have created this as a new topic, because it is not clear from the other similar threads what the solution is, and there doesn't seem to be anything about this problem in the "Announcements" or "Service Status" areas.
A new customer's router is not working correctly (not the customer associated with this forum login).
Some websites work OK, some don't. Some mail servers work OK, some don't. There are many timeouts when web-browsing.
Line stats from the router control panel seem OK, but there are timeouts even when trying to run speedtest websites!
It appears that this is the same problem that quite a few other new customers have, where the router has been misconfigured by the automatic configuration process.
So, what is required to get the router configured correctly now? Do we just reset the router, or does something need resetting from PlusNet's end, specific to the account/line, before we do that?
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: New customer. Some websites work, some don't. How do I fix misconfigured router?

At first it was said the problem was the misconfiguration by the auto setup process, and Plusnet changed something at their end for a few people. Later it was said it was some problem with the firmware, after being switched from fibre to ADSL mode.
You could try switching off the auto setup in the plusnet member centre, and then factory reset the router via its web interface rather than the hole in the back, apparently the reset method made a difference for one person. After that you would need to configure the router manually.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New customer. Some websites work, some don't. How do I fix misconfigured router?

Do a graceful disconnect - ie login to the 2704 and click Disconnect (1st box under Connection Status on the Home page) then power it off. Don't just unplug it from the Line. A minute after power off unplug from the line, turn it on whilst off-line and do any factory resetting and configuration off-line to avoid multiple resyncs. When done, reconnect to the line.