cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, Internet may as well not be on.

rachelroberts19
Dabbler

New customer, Internet may as well not be on.

Hello community,

Firstly, sorry for the long post.

We ordered broadband from Plusnet to switch from EE because EE was slow. After 6 weeks (!!) of waiting, the router arrived and they connected us. No idea why it took this long, when we switched to EE it took 3 days.

Anyway, the internet went on last week and it seriously is tragic. 45 seconds to open a single none-demanding web page. This is the speed test I did - http://s20.postimg.org/mcb5r3g31/image.png

Ping: 1454
Download speed: 0.51
Upload speed: 0.12

Yeah, pretty embarrassing considering my 4G on my phone gets download speeds of 104.

When they connected us after 6 weeks, they gave us a new number, not sure if that's normal because when we switched to EE we kept the same number.

Also the day before the internet was switched on, a BT engineer was sent by Plusnet to do something, I think this issue was something to do with the 6 week wait.

We never used the phone before and don't bother with it now but we've noticed the phone does nothing when ringing the new number, it makes a ringing noise trough the phone you're dialing off (used mobile) but the phone itself doesn't ring. You can't ring from the house phone either.

(Also the old number doesn't ring, definitely been cut off).

Apparently there is a 10 day training period for the Internet to improve but for the 6 days it's been on it's been unusable. No one bothers connecting.

Also, every time we've contacted their "award-winning customer service" it's just been some Indian phone operator that can't understand us.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Or has anyone experienced things like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: New customer, Internet may as well not be on.

Hey,

Really sorry to hear that you're getting such poor performance.

I've taken a look at your connection and can see that since you've gone live with us, your connection has been very unstable:

Frequent DisconnectionsFrequent Disconnections

As a result of the drops you've had, your connection gets automatically slowed down, it does this to try and stabilise your line. We need to figure out what's causing those drops on your line. It could be down to the equipment you're using or down to the internal wiring. You mentioned that you were getting slow speeds with EE, it could be that you were facing similar problems with them in terms of having your connection slowed down.

We'd like to get to the bottom of this, so we can start giving you a decent service. There are a couple of checks that we would ask you to do, this is just to rule anything internal causing the problem. I'll list these checks below:

1. Try an alternative Microfilter
  2. Connect your router into your Test Socket
  3. Try an alternative router (if you have one)

Once you've got your router connected into your Test Socket with that different microfilter, we can do another quick test on your line and see if it's looking a bit more healthy.

If it's looking good from there, we'll take the steps to remove the automated slowdown on your line and see if the line remains stable. There would be little point removing the automated slowdown before these checks, as the line will drop out again and the automated slowdown will be re-applied.

I appreciate it might not be anything internal causing the issue, but it's worth ruling out, in case we have to send an engineer - the last thing we want is for a visit to become chargeable because it's an internal issue causing the problem Smiley

I hope this helps!

PeterLoftus
Pro

But the OP has reported that her phoneline has not been properly provisioned. Shouldn't that be fixed first?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rachelroberts19
Dabbler

Thank you for your swift reply.

With EE it was slow when many devices were on, more a bandwidth issue not slow in a broken way like this one is.

I just went to the router and tried using the old microfilter, reset it and no change. Also did the same with the old router itself, no change.

The only plug in the house looks like the test socket you mentioned and the microfilter is already plugged into that. The router won't plug directly into the plug without the microfilter because the socket from the router isn't the same as the female socket in the master.

Also, regarding the phone not working, it works now. The phone socket wasn't connected properly but it is now and it phones out.

On the router only the 'internet' light doesn't light up. The rest do.

Cheers.
rachelroberts19
Dabbler

@PeterLoftus

When the engineer came he connected it all to the socket behind the sofa and said it will work when connected the next day, probably shouldn't have take his word for it because the phone socket wasn't even pushed in to the mocrofilter.

Done now, doesn't explain the Internet though, cheers Smiley
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Rachel,

I found it quite odd when you mentioned an engineer for a transfer of service, someone out to you should never be required for this, however checking things it seems EE may have listed your line under a differing address as there weren't any active or stopped lines when we came to place your orders.

Due to this we placed an order to install a new line at your address, this is what caused the majority of delays with installation, both phone and broadband show as active as of the 31st of May.

In regards to the speeds I'd definitely do those internal checks then we can get this raised to Openreach as you should be getting much higher speeds based on your estimates 

rachelroberts19
Dabbler

I have done the checks as I wrote in my last reply. I used a different router and a different microfilter. No changes.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry for not noticing that Rachel. I'm speaking to a colleague now about the issue and will be back shortly.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Rachel, are you able to give our technical support team a quick call to get this raised as a fault, general consensus is we need to get someone out to take a look at things.

If you can't do this I'll get someone to give you a quick call tomorrow as I don't have anyone available at the moment to make an outbound call Smiley

rachelroberts19
Dabbler

I would call but like I said, I'm always put through to an Indian that can't understand me or my problem.

Can you provide a number with British customer services?
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All of our staff are based in the UK, either in the Sheffield office such as myself or in our Leeds office and we intend to keep things that way, the best number to call however would be 0800 432 0200

PeterLoftus
Pro

That's very unusual I normally get a friendly compatriot Yorkshireman lol
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rachelroberts19
Dabbler

I see, they must have been UK workers with Indian accents because it was definitely not a Sheffield or Leeds accent.

Anyway, I will call tonight ASAP.
rachelroberts19
Dabbler

Update:

After contacting Plusnet they gave us more checks a to do. The the past 4 or 5 days the router has been in the test sockets do they reset the system and it hasn't really made much difference. Worked at 2mb/s download for an hour or two and hasn't worked since.

They're sending an engineer out tomorrow. I won't hold my breath on it getting fixed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking at the connection graph and comparing it to the one earlier in this thread shows that something really isn't right.

Here's the new connection logs:

I really do hope the engineer can find this issue and get this sorted for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.