hilton3
Hooked

New customer 7 days intermittent speeds and cut outs :-(

Same set up as i was using with sky ... cant even run the test half the time :

9 REPLIES 9
hilton3
Hooked

Re: New customer 7 days intermittent speeds and cut outs :-(

Says uptime is 6 days??? Also tried different cables etc .. cant use a filter though as i got no signal when trying .. connected to main port .. all was fine with sky .... same on pc or mobile. Cant directly connect pc to router due to layout.

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router 2 - Serial number: N7210221B007003 3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet 4 - Board version: F@ST2704N 5 - Mode ADSL 6 - Uptime: 6 days 17:57:16 7 - Data rate: 944/15014 8 - Maximum data rate: 1352/14852 9 - Noise margin: 5.8/5.8 10 - Line attenuation: 17.7/32.5 12 - Data sent/received: 1.6G/1.3G 20 - Broadband username: 21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: Pauls 22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled 23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2 24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 25 - Firewall: Default 26 - MAC Address: 44:d4:53:3a:5e:0e 27 - Software variant Version 1.0 28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@hilton3 Welcome to the forums. Something is wrong there - your connection as far as the router is fine. What type of master socket have you got?

What user name is showing in the router - it should be in the form of 'yourusername@plusdsl.net'?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

As @jab1 says, there doesnt appear to be much wrong with your basic ADSL connection speeds.

Two things to note though :-

Data sent/received: 1.6G/1.3G

You seem to have a significant amount of upload data , almost as much as the download!. If there is lot of upload traffic then that will slow the download as upload bandwidth is required to acknowledge download data. Are any of your devices continually backing up to the cloud ?

Cant directly connect pc to router due to layout.

You really need to be able to do a wired speed test. Wireless speeds can be affected by so many external factors. If it isnt possible, then one thing you might try is to change the wireless channel on the router to one that isnt being used by neighbouring routers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hilton3
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the reply. 
Cable comes in from outside, then runs inside to a white socket with two connectors,  the left one works, the right one with the filter doesnt?

The username is in the right format...

hilton3
Hooked

My bad on the upload i was testing up/down speeds which is why that was so high.

Yea i tried switching channels and no difference, 

No network traffic at all in task manager.

Attached is tonight's test .. nothing at all but edge running.

jab1
Legend

@hilton3 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply. 
Cable comes in from outside, then runs inside to a white socket with two connectors,  the left one works, the right one with the filter doesnt?

The username is in the right format...

A picture of the main socket, or details of any identification on it, would be a great help. If, as I suspect, it is a 5C master with a Mk.4 faceplate, the DSL cable goes into the L/H socket and the phone into the R/H.

If you remove the front of the socket and plug the router into the revealed test socket via a filter, is there any improvement?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@hilton3  we really need a wired speed test to eliminate any wireless problem. If you try to raise a fault then one of the first things Plusnet will ask for is a wired speed test 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hilton3
Hooked

Yea i took the cover off before .. its a by  openreach socket. 

So. connected via filter now .. less complete drop outs but speed is worse consistently under 1mbs?

Yes was a mk 4 faceplate ...

The problem with connecting directly is i have no monitor, just use a large tv...and also no phone to test line ...

jab1
Legend

So you don't have a computer then - just a, presumably, 'smart' TV?

A cheap (£5/£6) wired handset is an essential tool for diagnosing line problems.

As asked before - what identification is on your main phone socket?

John