cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract after 18 months of slow speed and guess what...

mattprince
Grafter

New contract after 18 months of slow speed and guess what...

Slow speed AGAIN!
I should be on mid 30s , both my computer and iPhone showing a lot slower. Lots of dropouts in the night , times when i go to the internet and it shows the routers admin login.

Its just unacceptable
Matt
5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: New contract after 18 months of slow speed and guess what...

what does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say ?
lots of dropouts may suggest a line fault though.
mattprince
Grafter

Telephone number:
01270*******
Phone exchange:
ALSAGER
Estimated line speed:
31Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-05 13:49:40
Current line speed:
35.8 Mb
xreyuk
Grafter

You are synchronised at 35.8Mbps, so the problem is not the FTTC sync speed.
Your iPhone speed tests will be slower than your FTTC speed because you are doing it using wireless. I also suspect you are doing the speed tests via wireless connection. I suspect the 'dropout's could also be down to wireless connectivity. Wireless, by design, is variable.
Plug in directly to your router using a cable, and I'm sure you will see the correct speed.
mattprince
Grafter

Hi,
The iPhone was wireless but the computer was wired. The wireless speediest on the computer was only slightly slower so theres definitely something amiss.
Even when I've been on wireless on the mac , its been very close to the mid 30's as has the iPhone normally (well when i haven't had speed problems)
Im sat 9 foot away from the router so the iPhone speed would degrade that much anyway, especially as its in the same room with no obstructions.
Matt
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Matt,
Alsager - nice part of Cheshire and some lovely pubs!
Can you be sure that nothing else was using the internet during these tests?  If yes, then there could be something wrong with the line which is giving rise to errors and retransmissions.  I would recommend raising a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.